Are you looking to learn how to find a free car?
Cars are expensive.
There’s no doubt about that.
Is it possible to get free cars?
Getting a free car may sound too good to be true, but it’s possible for people who meet certain requirements, which we will talk about below. In this article, I’ll show you how to get a free car through different ways, from charity donations to assistance programs, and more.
I understand that there are so many people who would benefit from a more affordable transportation option. After all, a car can be essential to landing a job, getting to work, helping you pick up and drop off your children at childcare (so that you can work!), getting groceries, and so much more.
Low-income families, single parents, individuals with disabilities, veterans and their families, and so many others may particularly benefit from getting free vehicles to improve their quality of life.
Whether it’s making it easier to get to work, taking the kids to school and childcare, or simply attending important appointments, acquiring a free car can have a significant impact on your daily life.
- 9 Best Ways To Find Free Gas Cards
- How To Get Free Clothes Online & Near You (15 Best Ways)
- 15 Awesome Ways To Get Free Stuff
Why do free cars exist?
Free cars exist to help people who need transportation.
There are many organizations whose sole purpose is to help you get a free car because they know how much it can change a person’s life.
Below are some organizations that may help you find a free car:
- Nonprofit Organizations — Some nonprofit organizations give away cars for free to those who need one. They work with local partners and households and accept donations of old cars and used cars, which are then fixed up and given to those who need them. These organizations usually target specific groups of people, such as low-income families, working families, single parents, military families, or disabled individuals, who may find it hard to afford a car on their own.
- Churches and Private Charities — Churches and private charities may offer car help in your community as well. They usually work on a smaller scale, providing help to local residents experiencing hardships and may just give out a free car here and there. These organizations often rely on donations from members of the community and local businesses, and they require applicants to demonstrate a genuine need for a vehicle. You may need to contact local churches and charities directly to learn more about how to get a car for free.
People donate their used cars all the time. Their reasons may be either because they have no use for the car, they want to avoid the hassle of selling a car, for tax breaks, or they want to help others.
Who can benefit from free cars?
There are many people who can benefit from a free car, such as:
- Low-income families — If your family is struggling with money and you are finding it hard to afford your bills, you might be eligible to receive a free car if you can show your need to an organization.
- Single mothers and single parents — Single moms and parents need transportation so that they can get to work and also be able to bring their children to childcare. Not having a car can make this much more difficult.
- Domestic violence victims — Having reliable transportation can be important for the safety and well-being of domestic violence victims. Some organizations have experience providing a free car in this situation and understand the need for privacy.
- Disabled individuals — If you have a disability, you might be eligible to receive a free car to help you get around and be more independent.
- Veterans and military families — Veterans and military families can also benefit from free car programs. There are organizations dedicated to providing assistance to those with a military background, to repay them for their service and sacrifices.
- Victims of natural disasters — If you have experienced loss from a natural disaster, then you may benefit from many charitable free car organizations.
Of course, there are many more people who could benefit from finding affordable transportation as well. This is not a full list of those who might need a free vehicle.
Now, you do want to be cautious with getting a free car. If you are receiving government assistance, such as housing assistance, welfare, or food stamps, then accepting a free car may be considered income and it can affect your benefits. This is something that you will definitely want to think about as you do not want to lose these benefits.
How To Get A Free Car
There are organizations that help you get a car when you need a free vehicle. And there are other ways to find a free car as well. Below are some of the options that you may want to look into:
1. 1-800-Charity Cars
1-800-Charity Cars (also known as Free Charity Cars) is a nonprofit organization that provides free vehicles to eligible people, including domestic violence victims, the medically needy, victims of natural disasters, veterans and military families, and families transitioning from public assistance to work. It was the first charity of its kind in the nation.
This is the original free charity cars organization and they have given away over $70,000,000 in cars (over 9,000 cars) nationwide since they started the organization in 1996.
To apply, you will need to meet their eligibility criteria and submit an application on their website. Some of their eligibility requirements include being over the age of 18, being a resident of the U.S., having a valid driver’s license, being at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level, and having a genuine need for a vehicle.
This is a good place to start if you need a free car and you’re wondering where can I get a donated car for free.
2. Vehicles for Change
Vehicles for Change was started in 1999 and has given out over 7,500 cars to low-income families for little to no cost.
This organization helps residents in the states of Maryland and Northern Virginia. Cars are repaired and restored by people seeking workforce training as auto mechanics.
Donated vehicles are provided to families in need who meet their eligibility requirements. Eligible applicants must have a verifiable job offer or be working at least 30 hours per week, have no DUIs, and have a valid driver’s license to begin the application process.
3. Good News Garage
Good News Garage is a car donation program to look into if you’re trying to find a free car. They provide refurbished free cars for low-income families that meet their eligibility requirements. They give out around 200 cars to families in need each year and have provided around 5,500 cars since starting in 1996.
This organization is available for those in need who live in the New England area of Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire.
Good News Garage also has a transportation program. If you need to get to a job or get your children to childcare, then their program Ready To Go may be able to help you with this as well.
4. Online Car Donation
OnlineCarDonation.org is another platform that donates refurbished vehicles to needy individuals and families.
Online Car Donation gives free cars to people such as those with physical challenges, families living in homeless shelters, military families, and more.
You can apply by filling out their application form on their website and providing the required documents to prove your eligibility.
After you submit your application for a free car, if you are chosen, you will be contacted within 30 days. If you do not hear back within that time frame, their website says you can apply again as applications are only valid for 30 days.
5. With Causes Charitable Network
The WithCauses.org Network helps individuals and families in need by providing resources and assistance, which includes help getting a free car. The eligibility requirements may vary, so visit their website to find out if you qualify and how to apply.
6. Salvation Army free car program
The Salvation Army offers a free car program for eligible candidates.
They mainly focus on helping domestic violence victims, families in dire financial situations, and the homeless. Visit your local Salvation Army branch to inquire about their car donation program and how to apply.
7. Cars 4 Heroes
Cars4Heroes donates free cars to first responders, military veterans, and their families who are in need of transportation.
Cars 4 Heroes was started in 1996, and the organization currently gives away over 300 cars a year in the Kansas City, Kansas, metro area.
You can fill out their application form on their website and provide the required documentation to be considered for a free car.
8. Local church
Your local churches or other religious institutions may have programs that provide free vehicles to families that need help getting a car.
You may want to contact your nearby churches to find out if they have any car donation programs and how to apply or if they have eligibility requirements. They may know someone that they can connect you with to help you get a free car.
9. Check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist
If I was wondering about free cars near me, then I’d browse through these websites regularly to find out if anything is available. The search can be customized by entering your budget and location to see if anything suitable turns up.
10. Find a job that gives you a free car
There are jobs that may give you a free car as well, in case none of the above options works for you.
Some job positions that may come with a company car include sales representatives, district managers, or regional directors who spend a lot of time traveling between different offices.
To start your search for jobs that give you a car to take home, you can look for job postings with phrases like “company car provided” or “full-time vehicle provided.” Job websites such as Indeed, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor make it simpler to find such job listings by using specific keywords, so you may try searching for those. I did a quick search and was able to pull up jobs easily by typing those phrases into the keyword search bar.
Some employers might offer a car allowance instead of providing a free car. In this case, you would receive a monthly stipend to use toward your vehicle expenses. This would offset some of your car expenses, such as monthly payments or maintenance.
Also, if you know someone who currently has a company car, you can try asking them for tips and advice. They might even refer you to open positions at their workplace, and this can help you get a job with a free car as well.
11. Look for a free dealer donation
Dealer donations are a little more difficult of an option, as car dealers are in the business of making money, not giving away all of their cars that make them that money.
But, it doesn’t hurt to try if you have the time to write a letter and reach out to a car dealership.
To obtain a car dealer donation of a free used car, you’ll want to start by seeing what local dealerships are in your area. You can research their involvement in charitable activities to see if they even give out free cars (maybe do a simple search of the dealership’s name plus the term “free car” or something like that), as this will show you that they are open to the idea of donating a vehicle to those in need of a free car.
Once you have a list of local dealers to reach out to, there are ways to get a free car from a dealership. You can write a letter talking about your situation and reasons for requesting a donated car. You should talk about your struggles and the positive impact the donation will have on your life (such as, what a donated car will help you do).
When writing your letter for a free dealer donation, here are some things to think about:
- Write the letter to the dealership’s owner or general manager, as they will likely have the authority to approve a car donation or be able to talk to someone who does have that authority.
- Explain your situation fully and provide the specific reasons why you need a car.
- Talk about how a car donation would improve your life and allow you to overcome challenges or achieve goals.
- Provide information on any relevant programs or resources, such as a community organization or nonprofit, that may support your request for a free car.
After you have written your letter, submit it to the dealership. You may do this by sending it to the physical mailing address of the person, their email address, or perhaps even handing your letter to them in person.
Here are answers to common questions you may have about finding a free car:
What are other transportation options if I can’t find a free car?
There may be a long waiting period if you are applying for a donated car. If you are not able to find a free vehicle, then you may need to look into other options to get around town. Here are some ideas on how to get around if you don’t have a car of your own:
- Public Transportation — If you live in a place with public transportation, then this option is something to look into. One great thing about public transportation is that you won’t have to pay to maintain a vehicle or repair anything. Of course, public transportation sometimes takes longer and may not be widely available to you (unfortunately, there are many towns in the U.S. that do not have great public transportation options), and that is something to think about. Also, more and more cities offer public transportation at no charge. You may have to apply for a special card to get this free service, or it may be available to everyone. It’s worth asking around about because it can save you hundreds of dollars a month.
- Carpooling — Carpooling is an option to think about if you are unable to find a free car, especially for people who live in areas with limited public transportation. Car owners may be looking for riders so that the expense of ownership is offset a bit. You’ll need to share the cost of expenses, such as gas, tolls, parking, and wear and tear. You may be able to share rides with coworkers, friends, or neighbors. To save money, you could offer to trade babysitting, gardening, or home repairs for the ride. Also, check out carpooling apps that apply to your local area.
- Rideshare Services — Now, rideshare most likely won’t be the most affordable option, but sometimes you don’t have a choice. Rideshare services, such as Uber and Lyft, may be able to get you to where you need to go if you don’t have any other options. To save money, use an app that compares rideshare companies and finds you the cheapest price. And, as far as your work commute, it’s good to know that some companies offer rideshare services as a benefit to their employees and will pay for the full cost or part of it.
How can I find free cars given away near me?
Yes, you can find free cars given away near you. There are many local organizations that may be able to help you out. You can research the various charity programs in your area and see if you meet their eligibility requirements for a free car.
Many charities, such as Charity Cars, provide free vehicles to people in need. These organizations often target specific groups of people, like veterans or victims of domestic violence.
Next, reach out to local branches of organizations like the Salvation Army or Goodwill Industries. These organizations may also auction off donated cars at affordable prices. Reach out to your nearest branch to learn more about available vehicles and to find out if they hold any auctions.
Another option is Online Car Donation, which aims to provide free cars to as many people in need as possible. Fill out their application to see if a reliable used car is available for you. They also offer trucks, vans, and sometimes even modified vehicles for individuals with disabilities.
Remember to be patient but also to keep trying, as it can sometimes take time to find the right opportunity for a free car. And, many times your application is only good for 30 days, so keep in mind that you may have to submit it over and over again.
Is Free Charity Cars legit?
Yes, Free Charity Cars is a legitimate organization that connects eligible people with free vehicles. They have high ratings and many endorsements.
How to get a car if you can’t get a free one?
If you’re not able to get a free car, you do have some other options, such as learning how to get a cheap car and learning the best way to get a car loan with a low interest rate.
Here are my tips for finding a cheap car:
- Shop around for cars that are affordable to you: Many organizations offering a free car may also give you the option of purchasing a refurbished vehicle from them at a much lower cost than elsewhere. Otherwise, check out your local dealerships, online car-selling platforms, and even Craigslist to find the best deals on reliable cars in your area. Don’t limit yourself to just one site; shop around and be patient until you find a car that fits your budget.
- Buy a used car: Buying a used car rather than a brand new one can save you money. Pre-owned vehicles tend to be more affordable and can still offer reliable transportation.
- Negotiate for the best price: Don’t be afraid to negotiate the price of the car with the car seller or dealership. They may be able to lower the price, especially if you can show them that similar cars are around for cheaper prices elsewhere.
- Check your credit score: Before applying for a car loan, make sure that you know your credit score. A better credit score increases your chances of getting a lower interest rate on your car loan. If you can, I recommend you take the steps to improve your credit score (even while searching for a free car) in case you need to apply for a car loan.
- You can learn more about building up your credit score at Everything You Need To Know About How To Build Credit.
- Shop around for car loans: Just as you should shop around for the best car deal, you should do the same for car loans. Different lenders may offer different interest rates and loan terms.
- Choose a shorter loan term: While a shorter car loan term means higher monthly payments, you’ll pay less in interest overall, making the car less expensive over the years.
There are plenty of options for finding cars that may not be entirely free but are still affordable to you.
Related content: Save Money With These Top Tips For Buying A Car
How To Get A Free Car — Summary
I hope you enjoyed today’s article on how to get a free car.
If you need a car but cannot afford one, there are several ways to possibly get a free car. Many programs and organizations exist to help people get a free car, especially if you belong to certain categories, such as low-income families, veterans, domestic violence victims, or those transitioning from public assistance.
Remember, you do want to be cautious with getting a free car as well. If you are receiving government assistance, such as housing assistance, welfare, or food stamps, then accepting a free car may be considered income, and it can affect your benefits.
To find free cars near you, it’s important to explore local nonprofit organizations, as well as community centers, churches, or social services agencies that may have information about free car programs or resources in your area. Some jobs come with a company car that you can take home.
Here are some potential resources to assist you in getting a free car:
- Local nonprofit organizations
- Online car donation websites
- Community centers and churches
- Social services agencies
Remember that just because you meet the eligibility requirements for a free car and apply for one, it does not mean that you will succeed. There are many people who would like to receive a free vehicle as well. However, you can increase your chances of getting a free car if you can show that you have a need and you have a story to share (since people personally review the applications to see who needs the car the most).
Are you looking to learn how to find a free car?