“I am bored what should I do?”
Are you feeling bored? Here is a list of over 100 things to do when bored at home. These ideas may help you feel better, be more productive, make money, save money, have fun, and more.
When you’re bored or procrastinating, you may usually just feel like scrolling on your phone or watching TV. But, there are many other things that you can do as well which may help to improve your life, feel more productive, or simply just relax more.
The items on this list may help you to finally tackle tasks that you have forgotten about, get things done that you normally never do, or perhaps even improve your mental health.
There are many different things that you can do when you feel bored at home.
Below, I have separated this list of things to do when bored at home into categories such as:
- Learning something new
- Visiting your local library
- Getting outside
- Ideas for self-improvement
- Things you can do around your home when you’re bored
- Ideas to make extra money
- Finding ways to save money
- Ways to improve your relationships with friends and family
- Different ways you can help others around you
- Creative things you can make at home
This enormous list of things to do when bored was a lot of fun to put together, and it gave me a lot of great ideas for what I can do right now as well!
Related content on what to do when you are bored:
- 59 Things To Do Instead of Watching TV So That You Can Take Your Life Back
- Budgets Don’t Have To Be Boring – How To Have Fun While Budgeting
- 100+ Things To Do Instead Of Social Media
Here are things to do when bored at home.
Learn something new when you’re bored
If you are looking for things to do when bored at home, then you may want to learn and experience new things in your life!
There are always new things to learn and experience, and this can help you grow and learn more about yourself. Plus, you will never know what you are talented at unless you try. You may even find a new favorite hobby.
- Learn a new skill. There are many skills you can learn, such as how to knit, calligraphy, crochet, dance, draw, paint, rock climb, cook, and more.
- Learn a new language.
- Join a book club.
- Learn how to play an instrument, such as the guitar, ukulele or piano.
- Read a book.
- Listen to audiobooks.
- Learn how to sail a boat.
- Attempt a new hairstyle or makeup routine.
- Find blogs and blog posts to read.
- Visit a museum.
- Attend a concert.
- Learn how to invest. Investing is important because it means you are making your money work for you. If you weren’t investing, your money would just be sitting there and not earning a thing. Read more at The 6 Steps To Take To Invest Your First Dollar – Yes, It’s Really This Easy!
Visit your local library
For inexpensive entertainment, your local library can be a great place to have fun, especially when you are feeling bored at home but don’t want to spend money.
Libraries have tons of free events and activities for all ages, as well as an endless amount of books and movies you can check out without having to spend any money.
There are libraries that also host book readings, book clubs, activities for kids, and more.
Plus, your local library may even have more than just the normal free books and activities – many libraries now let you borrow other things for free such as Go-Pros, recording equipment, state park passes, fishing equipment, sports items, laptops, cameras, projectors, and more. You simply check them out in the same way you would check out a book.
If you’re experiencing boredom, then I think one of the best things to do is to get outside and do something fun.
This can help to improve your mind, your well-being, and more.
Here’s a quick list of different outdoor activities you can take part in if you are bored:
- Go to a local park, state park, or national park
- Practice yoga.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Go for a hike.
- Find the constellations.
- Go rock climbing.
- Go for a walk.
- Jump rope.
- Raft down a river.
- Play with your pets.
- Go for a swim.
- Look at the stars.
- Play pickleball.
- Go fishing.
- Fly a kite.
- Go camping.
- Pick up sea glass.
- Have a picnic.
- Have a bonfire.
- Go for a run.
- Watch the sunset or sunrise.
- Find free attractions in your city.
- Train for a marathon.
Ideas for self-improvement
If you’re feeling bored, then I recommend finding ways to improve your life. The activities in this section are things that you can do to improve your mindset, life, and more.
- Create a vision board of a goal you want to reach.
- Start a bucket list. What are some activities that you really want to do? Places that you want to see? Make a list!
- Go on a vacation or a staycation.
- Meditate. When was the last time that you sat quietly for even just a few minutes?
- Write in a journal. Keeping a journal can help you reflect on your past, and it also allows you to see the progress you are making towards your goals and dreams. Plus, spilling your heart out every so often is great for your mind and soul.
- Find a new podcast to listen to.
- Change your desktop background to something uplifting and positive.
- Take a relaxing bath.
- Clean out your phone. Every now and then, I will go through my phone apps, photos, and other files and clean everything up. I usually do this when I am either procrastinating or feel like I have nothing better to do. It always feels nice to declutter my phone.
- Find a fun game. This may include games such as Sudoku, Wordle, chess, or a crossword puzzle to help exercise your brain.
- Learn how to knit a blanket or a scarf.
- Organize your folders and documents.
- Clean your email inbox.
- Exercise and workout.
- Find ways to lower your anxiety (if you have any).
- Take a nap.
- Plan a spa day at home, such as taking a nice bath, putting on a face mask, doing your nails, lighting candles, and more.
- Take an online course on something that you’ve been wanting to try, such as a new hobby that you’re interested in or a foreign language you want to learn.
Things to do when bored around your home
Pretty much every household has a list of things that needs to be completed.
However, you may procrastinate by being on social media or watching TV. If that’s you, then you should find time to work on your to-do list!
Here are several household ideas for things to do when bored:
- Organize. You can organize paperwork, drawers, crafts, office, basement, attic, junk drawers, and more.
- Declutter clothing, paperwork, and everything else in your home.
- Organize or clean out your pantry. For example, if you have items that are nearing expiration, perhaps put them closer to the front so that you will use them next.
- Scan and save your photos. Do you have physical copies of your photos still? I recommend scanning them so that you can have a digital copy in case anything ever happens to them.
- DIY projects.
- Record a virtual tour of your home. This may be fun to watch in the future!
- Paint a room in your home or a piece of furniture.
- Wash and fold your laundry.
- Clean out your kitchen cabinets.
- Clean your keyboard.
- Clean your car. The inside and/or the outside of your car!
- Redecorate your living room.
- Clean your couch.
- Wash your windows.
- Clean your makeup brushes.
- Watch a true crime documentary.
- Pick a room and deep clean it.
- Go through your calendar and see what you can work on today.
- Trim and repot your plants.
- Start making a gift life, such as for Christmas or birthdays.
- Changer the air filter on your AC or heating unit.
- Find tasty and new meals to cook.
- Watch a Youtube video on a new topic you are interested in.
- Rearrange your furniture.
- Complete regular maintenance tasks around your home.
- Fix something around your home.
- Start a garden of flowers, fresh vegetables, or even plant some fruit trees.
Make extra money
I talk a lot about making extra money, and I do this because I truly believe that learning about and actually making extra money can change your life.
If you’re looking for things to do when bored, then you may want to look into finding ways to make extra money.
Below are some different ways to make extra money:
- Start a blog. The top thing I recommend doing to make money is to start a blog! Blogging is how I make a living, and just a few years ago I never thought it would be possible. In fact, before I started my blog, I didn’t even know that blogs existed! I have a Free How To Start and Launch A Money-Making Blog Course that you can join, and it will help you start and launch a successful blog.
- Proofread for a living. In one year, my friend Caitlin made around $43,000 as a freelance proofreader, while also traveling to new places. Learn more at 20 Best Online Proofreading Jobs For Beginners (Earn $40,000+ A Year).
- Become a photographer. Do you love photography? You might be able to make money as a wedding photographer, portrait photographer, food photographer, and more. Learn more at How To Make $25,000 – $45,000 A Year As A New Photographer and How To Become a Food Blog Photographer And Earn Over $50,000 Each Year.
- Hold a yard sale. A garage sale can be a great use of your time because you can finally get rid of the extra stuff laying around your home as well as make some money!
- Run Facebook ads for local businesses. Did you know that you can earn an extra $1,000-$2,000 a month working as a digital ads manager on Facebook? You can learn more about this side hustle at How To Make $1,000 Extra In Your Spare Time With Facebook.
- Become a bookkeeper. You don’t have to be an accountant or have any previous experience! Plus, you can work from home and have a more flexible schedule. Please head to Make Money At Home By Becoming A Bookkeeper to learn more.
- Sell on Amazon. If you want to find a good use of your time, then you may want to start an Amazon FBA business! In the first year that a friend of mine ran their Amazon FBA business, working less than 20 hours a week total, they made over six figures profit! Learn more at How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA.
- Walk dogs and/or pet sit for extra money. If you love animals, then you may want to look into walking dogs or pet sitting. Rover is a great company to sign up with in order to become a dog walker and pet sitter.
- Sell printables from home. Selling printables at home can be quite passive because you just need to create one digital file per product, which you can then sell an unlimited number of times. Printables are digital products that customers can download and print at home. Examples include grocery shopping checklists, gift tags, candy bar wrappers, printable quotes for wall art, and patterns. You can also learn more at How I Make Money Selling Printables On Etsy.
- Deliver groceries or food. Food delivery services are getting more and more popular to use, and there are lots of companies out there you can work for, like DoorDash, UberEats, Shipt, etc.
- Write romance novels. My friend Yuwanda has found one of the most interesting online business ideas from home – she writes romance novels, and in one month, she was able to make over $3,000! You can learn more at How to Make Money Self-Publishing Short Romance Novels on Amazon.
- Mystery shop. If you’re looking for things to do when you’re bored at home, then you may want to try mystery shopping. Yes, you can actually get paid to shop at stores and eat at restaurants! A few years ago, I mystery shopped a lot to make extra income. I made anywhere from $150 to $200 a month mystery shopping and received free meals, makeup, and more. I would use Bestmark for mystery shopping, so I know that they are a 100% legitimate company. Please learn more at How To Become a Mystery Shopper.
- Go through your house or closet and sell your gently used items online. You can make extra money selling things on Facebook Marketplace, Poshmark, etc. This is a great thing to do when bored as you will be cleaning out your home and making extra money at the same time.
- Become a virtual assistant. Virtual assistant tasks may include social media management, formatting and editing content, scheduling appointments or travel, email management, and more. The list of virtual assistant tasks is endless, and there are so many different things that you could be doing. Please head to How Kayla Earns $10,000 A Month From Home as a Virtual Assistant to learn more.
- Sell stickers from home. Creating stickers to sell on Etsy can be a fun online business if you’re creative, and stickers are really popular right now! Please head to How To Make $1,000+ A Month Selling Stickers Online to learn more.
- There are tons of other things that you can do instead of scrolling on social media or watching TV when you’re bored that can help you make more money. Please check out 22 Best Online Business Ideas for more ideas.
Take online surveys
If you have just a few minutes to spare and are feeling bored, then you may want to try something easy like answering paid surveys.
Companies use surveys to find out what people think of their products and services, and it provides them with insights that help them improve their business.
The survey companies I recommend include:
- American Consumer Opinion
- Survey Junkie
- Branded Surveys
- Pinecone Research
- Prize Rebel
- Opinion Outpost
- User Interviews
You can learn more about this at 13 Paid Survey Sites To Make $50+ Per Month.
Find ways to save money
If you’re feeling bored and are looking for things to do when bored at home, then you may want to spend some extra time seeing what you can do to save money or improve your financial situation. Some ways to do so may include:
- Evaluate your budget. Does anything in your budget need to be changed to make it better or more realistic?
- Check your credit report. Is there anything on your credit report that is an error or should be changed?
- Analyze your expenses. What can you do to save more money?
- Create a family emergency binder. This is something that I highly recommend doing so that your important information is organized in one easy place. You can find the emergency binder that I recommend here.
- Shop around for more affordable car or home insurance. Are you possibly spending too much money on insurance?
- Research the next big purchase you are going to make, such as a car, home, appliance, insurance, cell phone, etc.
- Make a weekly meal plan menu.
Improve your relationships
If you are looking for things to do when bored at home, then I recommend spending quality time with someone that you enjoy spending time with.
Perhaps it’s a friend or family member (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, cousin, children, etc.) that you have not talked to as much as you would have liked lately.
Or, maybe you are wondering what to do when you’re bored with a friend or family member.
Some fun things to do when you’re bored may include:
- Send someone a handwritten letter or a thank you note in the mail. Taking the time to do this can go a long way.
- Call someone you love. A phone call may be exactly what you or someone else needs right now.
- Spend time with family or a friend. You can never have too much quality time.
- Plan a get-together. Getting everyone together can be a great way to catch up. Perhaps even host a potluck dinner.
- Cook a meal for someone important to you. Whether a friend just had a baby or if you know someone who is having a hard time, cooking a meal can mean a lot.
- Play board games, video games, or put together a jigsaw puzzle.
- Have a dance party.
- Host a dinner party.
- Find new fun ways to have a memorable time with your best friend.
- Write to a pen pal.
- Host a scavenger hunt.
Help others around you
Finding ways to help others around you can be a great way to spend your free time.
Whether the gesture is big or small, every act goes a long way. The smallest gesture can make someone’s day and completely change their outlook on life.
If you are looking for productive ways to spend your time, then you may want to try the below:
- Bring a trash bag on a walk and collect any trash that you see.
- Volunteer at a nonprofit organization, such as a food pantry or an animal shelter.
- Smile and say hello to people that you pass on the sidewalk.
- Donate items from your home.
- Donate blood.
- Foster an animal.
- Become a Big Brother or a Big Sister.
- Make a care package.
Find more ideas at 58 Random Acts Of Kindness.
Watch TV or have a movie night
Watching TV is what most people do when they are bored.
Of course, you want to be careful as you probably don’t want to watch so much TV that you are wondering where your day, week, or even month has gone, but it can be a great way to relax and enjoy yourself.
You could watch your favorite TV show or have a movie marathon if you are looking for things to do when you are bored.
Plus, there are ways to save money on TV as well. I recommend reading 16 Best Alternatives To Cable TV to learn more. There are many more options than just signing up for Netflix!
What creative things can I make?
Boredom can wreck your day, but it doesn’t have to. There are many creative things you can make at home when you are feeling bored.
You may need to watch some tutorials on YouTube, or even attend a class to learn how to do these crafts and other creative projects, but there are many creative things to do when you’re feeling bored such as:
- Creating a vision board
- Making new recipes, such as cakes, dinners, breakfasts, homemade ice cream, and more
- Trying a new cocktail with different ingredients
- Making candles
- Making paper flowers
- Coloring in adult coloring books
- Knitting or crocheting
- Cooking a yummy meal out of a cookbook
- Baking cookies
- Making bars of soap
- Sewing clothing
- Tye dying shirts, pillow cases, and more
- Making slime with your kids
- Starting a YouTube channel
- Making a TikTok
As you can see, there are many different creative things to do when bored.
Things To Do When Bored At Home – Summary
If you are wondering what to do when you are bored at home, then I hope you found something that may interest you above.
Some of the activities above may be quite productive, whereas others may be more relaxing. Others may even be complete time wasters. There’s no right or wrong answer as it simply depends on what you are looking for.
Next time you ask “How can I pass time at home?” reference the list above and see what new things you can try. The ideas are endless!
What do you do when you’re bored at home?
One easy side hustle anyone to start is with a self hosted WordPress blog and blogging about their favorite TV shows in reviews posted to their blog. Then, monetize the blog with Google AdSense. Once more people start understanding in grasping the fact that this is an easy side hustle anyone can do when they’re bored at home and want to make money online, they can use it as a tool to build themselves up to a full-time blogging business and quit their day jobs. There’s millions of dollars to be made in affiliate marketing, blogging, and blog ad monetization.
I need to print this out so I have a list of to-do’s next time I’m bored!
Evan K says
Thank you for the post. I usually try to make something if I’m bored – a DIY project or photos, for example. Going for a walk always seems to lift my mood too. I’m going to have to try the tye dying shirts idea – it sounds like it would be a lot of fun and I have never tried it before.
I need to print this out so I have a list of to-do’s next time I’m bored!
Hi Michelle, I just came across your blog for the first time, from another persons blog. I am actually shaking as I write this. I am about to quit my job and start a blog and I have no idea what I am doing. I plan to blog about this entire process from beginning to end (hopefully no end). How do you pivot and allow for your readers to pivot with you? In other words, when your subject changes, do your readers stay with you? Or more importantly, do your page views dwindle? Increase? I don’t even know what I am actually saying right now. But I hope it makes sense. Thoughts?