Hey everyone! Happy Monday. I’m technically not on vacation yet, as it doesn’t start until 5 p.m. today, but it starts soon!
I have the rest of the week off and I’m going to New Orleans with W and another couple. None of us have ever been. So many of you have given us great recommendations, thank you so much! Sounds like we have a ton of restaurants to try 🙂
Did anyone watch Trueblood last night? Crazy! Now I cannot wait until Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead both start. What’s your favorite TV show?
After Trueblood, W and I went to get ice cream. Simple as that, right? Nope! We left our house to go to Dairy Queen which is only about 2 miles away. On the way there, W started yelling that this guy was getting too close and swerving in and out of lanes. I wasn’t paying attention because W is a very paranoid person and I just shrugged it off.
Then at one point the driver nearly clipped us (literally an inch away), and W swerved to avoid him, and the driver of the truck swerved ACROSS FOUR LANES and hit 2 huge telephone poles and went straight through them. The poles were laying on the road and the lines were completely down. The driver of the truck then flew down a hill and into a ditch. And he was drunk and drove away after all of this. No one is sure how he managed to drive his totaled truck away or how he survived.
Anyways, to completely change the subject, thank you to everyone who said so many nice things about my blogiversary and my blog. I love you all! The giveaway still has over a week to go, so make sure to get your entries in. There are so many ways to enter, and you can do them all or just do one.
We did do some spending in the past week. We needed some things for our bikes, such as for maintenance or repair just in case something goes wrong for when we are on a long ride.
My bike surprisingly broke a couple of weeks ago while riding it. I am still not too happy about this as we spent a decent amount of money on it. Luckily it was nothing major. The pedal came undone and fell off, and I came crashing down (boy, did that hurt) while we were riding on a trail fairly fast.
Luckily, there was a construction crew on their lunch break and they were more than happy to help us. They even offered us beers while they were fixing my bike! And yes, they were drinking beers while working on building a busy bridge that hundreds of thousands of people drive over every single day. Lets not even talk about how much that scared us…
Extra Income (does not include income from our main jobs)
Extra income was good in the past week. Nothing too extraordinary, but I’m not going to complain. I can already tell that September will be a great month. Hopefully I don’t jinx myself but I have had a good amount of freelancing leads right now. WOOHOOO!
A lot of you have also been asking about taxes. Around 35% of my extra income goes towards taxes, and I will have a post on my other site, Diversified Finances, about that sometime soon.
I still don’t know when my 100% self-employment switch date will be. I’m still a little afraid to give up such a stable income from my day job, and I’m not going to lie, I am afraid of failure and that something will go wrong.
I will say that these feelings aren’t as big as they used to be. All of this doesn’t bother me as much, and I know that I am ready now. Now, we are really just trying to increase our emergency fund before I make the actual switch, so that we are as prepared as we can be.
Posts from my websites:
- What not to do when leaving your job – There will always be crazy people out there, right? People quit in the most ridiculous ways. What’s the craziest quitting story that you know of?
- 2 Year Blogiversary – WOOHOO! I still cannot believe that it has been two years. It’s crazy to think about. I dived into the blogging world, not even knowing what I was getting myself into. Now, I am in love with it all.
- Four expenses that aren’t worth the money – This post was by Jordann. There are a lot of things that I don’t like paying for. I also hate paying for haircuts, but luckily I’m trying to grow out my hair and don’t need to do that as much. What do you hate paying for?
- Pay off your mortgage faster, save thousands of dollars – This was a post on my site by a blogger friend. This definitely seems to be a divided issue. Would you rather pay off your mortgage as quickly as possible or just pay the normal monthly payment?
- I’m not rich, but thanks for thinking so Budgets are Sexy – I loved this post a lot. I know that I post my extra income every week, but life is not perfect. Just wanted to get that out there! 🙂 I am working hard in all areas of my life and need to if I want to make self-employment a reality.
- Job Burnout is Brutal Personal Finance Utopia – Job burnout plays a big role for why many people leave their jobs. Have you ever left a job or wanted to because of job burnout?
- The Daycare Dilemma and Why I’m Not a Stay At Home Mom Club Thrifty – While I would love to say that when W and I have kids that I would be able to be a work-at-home mom all the time, I also see myself sending our future kids somewhere in order to get work done. I’m not talking all the time, but maybe on some days. I think it’s just being realistic though. My freelancing still requires me to work, I’m not just sitting on my bed and only working for a couple of hours each day! Do you see yourself being a stay at home parent? Or will you be sending your kids to daycare as well?
Being healthy has definitely been much better lately. The weather has been so great lately, so it’s hard to just sit inside and not soak it all in. I went on a couple of long walks with my dog, ran on the treadmill a couple of times, and road my bike. We’ve been eating kind of more healthy, but we definitely went out to eat way too much last week. And this week will just be a disaster with being healthy since we will be in New Orleans, but oh well!
We went on a nice bike ride yesterday of around 15 miles. It would have been longer but we made the mistake of going out for a ride without eating at all beforehand. After about 7 miles I felt super hungry so we had to turn back!
Have you been doing well with your extra income, spending and being healthy?