Hey everyone! Yes, you read that correctly, I beat my goal that I made in November, and I made $5,770 in extra income in the month of December! I thought the goal that I set was pretty high since I made $5,514 in November, but I did again even though December is supposed to be a slow month because of the holidays.. Check out my Extra Income page that I have for my blog to check out my other extra income updates.
- This is proof on my online income since some of you have asked. This is for the month of December and before fees and expenses (expenses were around $600, and my actual pre-tax income is reflected in the title of this blog post) being taken out. The other income categories that are listed below were mainly just cash I received from my sister for rent. $6,045 plus $325 in rent minus $800 in expenses equals $5,770.
As you can obviously see, December was another successful month with extra income. Our extra income is actually over $1,000 higher because of extra money that W made as well but I don’t ever include his extra income in with mine..
December was yet again another good month and we seem to be on a good roll with our incomes.
W and I have both increased our incomes by a substantial amount. For me it was because of my online side jobs that I have (my income from my actual job is salary and does not fluctuate), and for him it was because of his job that he was hired for back in September. He used to make a much smaller amount at his old job (he mainly worked there for the great benefits).
December was a great month. We went on an awesome vacation that we decided on at the last second. St. Thomas was wonderful and I also got engaged there. St. Thomas was wonderful and our dreams of traveling more are definitely on our minds all the time.
I also have a fitness/finance blog that will be ready this month. I’m doing the finishing touches and it should be ready to go soon. My sister will be running it as a way to keep track of her fitness (I believe she has lost around 40 pounds, she also already has a pretty large Instagram following of over 2,500 people). She also isn’t the greatest with her finances, so that is why I wanted her to have a fitness and finance mix so that she could learn more about finances. Hope you all enjoy it once it’s ready!
You can find my 2012 yearly goals update and 5 year plan here.
December Goals Update
- Keep our food budget down to $400. PASS. We did pretty good with this. I didn’t do a good job with tracking the amount that we spent, but I’m sure we were under this.
- Workout at least 4 times a week and lose 3 pounds. FAIL. No words…
- Make an extra $2,500 this month. PASS. See above and below! 🙂
- Start decorating the dining room and GET CARPET MICHELLE. FAIL. Haha this is a joke. This will be on my list forever.
- Have fun on vacation and spend no more than $1,500. We had a great time on vacation! I will definitely be posting more pictures soon. And we definitely did not spend more than $1,500. I believe we spent around $1,000 on the whole trip.
- Read 2 books. FAIL. I almost finished the final Hunger Games book but that is all.
- Keep our food budget down to $400. This will always be on my goals list as this is something that we will always be working on. The months where we would spend thousands on food every month are long gone and I am very happy with that.
- Workout at least 3 times a week and lose 2 pounds. I lowered this by a little bit. Obviously increasing it last month was a FAIL. We plan on looking at home gym equipment this month and pricing it out. Do you have a home gym? How much was it?
- Make an extra $4,000 this month. I increased this by a lot compared to last month, but it is still lower than what I made last month and November. I do believe this is doable.
- Make sure the new blog starts off great! I’m doing a lot of things on the new blog that I did wrong with mine. Not having a newsletter, starting with a professional design on WordPress and so on.
- Twitter Followers: Goal was for 1,850 and I’m currently at 1,930. I’m hoping to get 2,050. PASS
- Alexa rank: Goal was for 60,000. And I’m at this amount. However, I am not focused on this. A lot of the bigger bloggers are at around 100,000, so I know that Alexa doesn’t really mean anything. PASS
- Guest post at least 2 times this month. Hahaha FAIL
Extra Monthly Income in December
- Online Income (this includes staff writing, blog, virtual assistant tasks) – $5,645
- Selling Clothes – $100
- Miscellaneous – $300
- Mystery Shopping – $0
- Rent – $325
DC@Young Adult Money says
December was a good month for me, but my side income is still relatively low compared to yours. I'm continuing to work towards a "second full-time income" which is the level I believe you are at. Congrats on your fiance, too, on getting those bonuses!
My recent post The Advantages of Being a DINK (Dual Income No Kids)
Wow, that's amazing! How do you make so much without having pop-up ads all over the place??
My recent post Hello 2013!
Email me if you have questions on this 🙂
Lisa @ Cents To Save says
Your efforts are definitely an inspiration to me! Can't wait to read your new blog 🙂
My recent post Here We Go. Again.
John S @ Frugal Rules says
That's awesome Michelle! December was a good month for me, but nothing like yours. I agree with the Alexa ranking. Once it surpassed the 100k mark I really stopped tracking it and am focusing on other things.
Agree! Alexa is not as important once you are already below 100K
can you tell us about the virtual assistant income? havent heard of it before!
Email me if you have questions 🙂
Great job on your extra income! I hope that you do post vacation pics.
Replied to your email 🙂
I hope so Jason 🙂
I was emailed from a website owner on this directly. It helps to have your own blog and have a "hire me" or "contact" tab.
That is awesome! How do you find virtual assistant work? That sounds very interesting…
I was emailed directly about it 🙂
Ooh – can you send me the same email you sent Evencheap? I'm curious! And of course, congrats. You're amazing!
My recent post Exercise on the cheap!
Email me and then yes I can email you back 🙂
Just a thought on the home gym. You really don't need "fitness equipment". I'm certain I'm older than many of your readers (49). When I was quite young back in the late 60's, there was a gentleman that had a morning fitness show. Perhaps you have heard of him – his name is Jack Lalanne. At no time during his show did he ever use equipment. He was all about using your body as your fitness gear…push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, leg lifts etc. I recently finished a round of P90X (purchased at full price – yes I know, I'm ashamed) and it hit me how similar the philosophy was to Jack's. I'm training for a 10 day trip to Peru in April. End Part 1
Thanks and you are right!
Part 2 – As I live in northwest Ohio where the teraine is painfully flat, I considered my options – a gym membership, buy a stair stepper/eliptical OR put my pack on, lace up my hiking boots and climb the steps at the highschool football stadium. The gym will cost $30.00/month, a good eliptical will be $1000+ and the stadium? Well, that's free. I've met several people asking what I'm doing and now see them climbing the steps for fitness. I guess my point here is, you don't need to spend money to stay fit.
Congrats on the extra income Michelle! You are definitely starting off the new year right 🙂
My recent post Let’s Get the Ball Rollin’: 2013 Goals
Congrats again Michelle 🙂 I'm so excited about reading you & your sister's new blog! Be expecting an email from me about the virtual assistant question like everyone else haha! Hope to be reading about your St. Thomas trip soon since I will be planning a honeymoon on the cheap!!
Way to kill it yet again!!! 🙂
Grayson@Debt RoundUp says
Awesome Job Michelle. It seems you are doing quite well for yourself. Keep it up and 2013 should be awesome!
Haha I wish I could do better than $6K
Yes girl, e-mail me! 🙂
Maybe you could write a detailed post about your extra income and just send it out as a newsletter or something – since you can't post it on your blog. That way you don't have to send a million individual e-mails and we'll all get ALL the information. 🙂 We're dying to know your secrets!!
HAha I actually have that in the works! I need to just stop being lazy. Thanks 🙂
My recent post $5,770 in Extra Income in December
Anne - Unique Gifter says
As always, astounded at your extra income! If you want to guest post, I'd be happy to have you 🙂
I'm a wee bit surprised to not see any wedding-related goals for Jan, but that's only because I read you as a type-A organizer, hehe.
Haha I didn't want to annoy anyone with too many wedding plans JUST yet 🙂
My recent post $5,770 in Extra Income in December
I think a personal finance blog is always good because it's a good niche. Email me if you would like to learn further 🙂
My recent post $5,770 in Extra Income in December
Whoo you kicked ass! I have two side jobs going right now so that we can get rid of this debt plus my husband is working two jobs right now. Yes it will be a long year but we will get through it for the better
what VA company do you find work thru?
I was emailed directly and don\’t use a company.
I don't have a side income with my blog yet so anything looks good to me.. lol. Keep up the good work mate. Mr.CBB
My recent post Finances In The New Year + New Budget = Success Formula
Wow! You did amazing!
My recent post 4 Business Tips for the Intelligent Investor
Wait, I'm just curious, how did you used to spend thousands on groceries? Were you just buying really nice, high quality food, or just eating out all the time?
It was eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It added up quickly.
My recent post It’s the WEEKEND
Save Big Live Better says
I love reading articles like this, definitely acts as motivation for those of us still growing and finding our path! Thanks so much for sharing, looking forward to reading more form you:)
intraday tips says
You’re doing really well on the passive income front, Joe! Keep going…