$6,523 in January Extra Income and GOALS

Hey everyone! I can’t believe it’s February already. Felt like it was 2012 just the other day :) 2013 has been off to a great start and I don’t think I’ve been this happy in a long time. Things seem to be going well so far this year and everything is falling directly in place.

Yes, you read that correctly, I beat my goal that I made in December, and I made $6,523 in extra income in the month of January! After expenses, I made $5,823 for the month of January.  I thought the goal that I set was pretty high since I made $5,570 in December (and thought that was hard). I still can’t believe that I am doing so well, when just one year ago my extra income was at around $100 per month.

EDIT: I finally made my post on How To Start A Blog – Tips for a Beginner, so check it out! This will be another multiple post series.

I will say that this is not all super easy. Well, none of it is. I spend enough time to make this a full-time job on top of my already full-time job. Luckily, I do enjoy what I’m doing so it’s not like I’m dreading anything. My goals that I have are also a great motivator. I just keep thinking about how badly I want my student loans gone, and also how badly we want a new house next year. Read further on my Extra Income page to check out my other extra income updates.

extramoneyThis is proof on my extra income since some of you have asked (I did edit the image to make it smaller). This is for the month of January and before some fees and expenses (expenses were around $700 and included a major giveaway that I hosted, PayPal fees, etc.) being taken out. The other income categories that are listed below were mainly just cash I received from my sister for rent. $6,198 plus $325 in rent equals $6,523.

January was another great month. I also started dabbling a little more in affiliate income, and it seemed to work. I plan on working with this more and hopefully it becomes a larger percentage of my monthly extra income.

Posts that were popular in January:

1. What Does a Virtual Assistant Do?
  2. I’ll Never Be a Frugal Blogger
  3. Ways to Earn Extra Income Part 1
  4. How To Become a Virtual Assistant
  5. Keeping Up With The Joneses
  6. So You Want to Be a Freelance Writer?
  7. Reconnecting With Family – An emotional post
  8. Wedding Budget – Our Expected Costs

A lot of you are very interested in earning extra income. I have tons of posts scheduled for future weeks. I did have a question though: is there anything that you would like me to specifically cover in a future post? Can be about extra income or anything else? I’m always up for ideas!

My sister’s blog still seems to be going great also. The following has been strong and her posts seem pretty good. Please subscribe to FITnancials if you haven’t yet. Her RSS and Twitter are calling your name, I just know it!

You can find my 2013 goals update here.

January Goals Update

1. Keep our food budget down to $400. FAIL. We did bad. We started reverting to old habits. Towards the end of the month we started doing much better though.
  2. Workout at least 3 times a week and lose 2 pounds. FAIL. I was super busy in January and was too lazy to workout because I was too tired. We have a treadmill being delivered next Thursday and I’m looking forward to that!
  3. Make an extra $4,000 this month. PASS. See above and below! I made over $6,000 in January.
  4. Make sure the new blog starts off great! PASS PASS PASS. Subscribe to FITnancials if you haven’t yet.

February Goals

1. Cook 5 days a week. Since we really want a new house within the next year, we are really trying to save as much money as we can for the down payment. As long as I have a interesting and tasty meal plan, I’m sure this is possible.
  2. Run 5 times a week and lose 3 pounds. Since we will have the new treadmill, this will make it a lot easier.
  3. Make an extra $5,000 this month. I increased this goal, but I still want it to be somewhat realistic. I’m hoping that it’ll just keep increasing and I’ll eventually be in the 5 digits.
  4. Schedule the engagement photos photographer. I’ve e-mailed some places, but it seems like no one wants to get back to me. The main person I wanted emailed me back, so I guess that’s all that’s important! I guess I just wanted more choices, but oh well. The wedding industry here in St. Louis must hate me because they all seem to be horrible with e-mailing me back. Why list an email when you don’t email back!? IT’S BEEN 2 MONTHS!
  5. Choose a wedding date. We need to talk to W’s family and come up with a date that will work since we will be using the family’s property.

Blog Goals

• Twitter Followers: Goal was for 2,050 and I’m currently at 2,420 WOOHOO! I’m hoping for 2,600 in February.
  • Alexa rank: Goal was for 60,000. And I’m slightly below this amount. However, I am not focused on this. A lot of the bigger bloggers are at around 100,000, so I know that Alexa doesn’t really mean anything. All it means is that others with the Alexa toolbar are looking at your website.
  • Guest post at least 2 times this month. Haha FAIL yet again

Extra Monthly Income in January

• Online Income (this includes staff writing, blog, virtual assistant tasks, affiliate income) – $6,198
  • Selling Clothes – $0
  • Miscellaneous – $0
  • Mystery Shopping – $0
  • Rent – $325

How did you do in January? Any extra income?

Comments

1. John S @ Frugal Rules says

Great work once again Michelle! That number is just crazy! :) I had a pretty good month, but then again when you're starting from 0 then anything is pretty good. I just started dabbling in affiliate advertising and want to focus more on it so I can have a bit of diversity.

2. Anne - Unique Gifter says

Once again,you're absolutely killing it! The lack of response from some businesses is so surprising, like what the PoPs said! How go your student loans? They must be disappearing at a nice clip, with all of this extra income!

3. kate says

That is some awesome extra income! I'm new at all this stuff and just recently found your blog. Did you ever post a breakdown of how much staff writing pays and much you get paid for your blog posts?

4. JNieto says

Congratulations Michelle! Having that amount of extra income is amazing and I'm glad for you. I can only hope my blogs becomes as succesful. If it reaches the levels you have on your I'll have considered a succesful endeavor. I hear you on the time spent, it does seem like another full time job. But like you, I'm enjoying it, especially meeting other bloggers who have been kind enough to give me advise and support.
    My recent post Do You Have An Asset Protection Strategy In Place?

5. anhle257 says

Wow that looks really great. I just followed your blog recently and I love it! I checked out posts since you started this blog and they are really useful tips and information. Concerning your question, I definitely want to know how to make extra income. Of course we all know how but I want to know more specifically from your own experiences. Plus I'm not the US-based so it would be nice to know methods that work for people from outside the US! Thank you!

6. Cassi says

Wow, congrats on making your goal of $4000 income! This month, I hope you can accomplish your other goals as well, but that one goal is impressive in itself. Keep up the hard work!

7. Joseph Anzai says

Michelle,

Looooove your blog, I just wish it had come out earlier. Oh well, it's not to late to start now. I found you through a comment you left on one of my favorite sites SPI. You are extremely inspirational and I can't wait to hear about your world travels someday.

8. Nick @ AYoungPro.com says

Great post! I started my blog a few days ago and if I am 1/4 as successful as you have been by next year I will be stoked. I need to learn a lot and it seems like a huge mountain to climb, thanks for the inspiration!

9. I Love Being Online says

Wow! Impressive!

I started my blog, http://www.ilovebeingonline.com with intentions to make it a million dollar site. Since I opened up in December of 2012 – guess how much I made? $8.22 through Google Adsense, LOL!!! Horrible, right?

I just don't know what to do anymore. I keep trying. Building up content, RSS readers, promoting on social media, etc. I will say that my readership has grown. I started off with about 6 comments and now I am up to like 30-50 comments per blog. Used to blog everyday and I've been slacking off.. I'll get back in action again here soon!

10. Karen says

I really have enjoyed my time here strolling through your website. But, I was curious as to why you don’t go into more detail regarding your staff writing jobs. Is it the income part or the agreement between you and you client?

11. HerEveryCentCounts says

Wow! I'd love to read how you are making so much extra income. That's amazing. I'd like to know how you find the time to do this — what sort of schedule do you work at your full time job, and does it actually allow you to work outside of it (I'm not allowed to take on other jobs without asking.) How much of your income was from your blog(s)?

• Michelle says

I work 8am to 5:30 pm at my job. My work doesn't know that I blog. A lot of my income was from my blog and that includes affiliate income since I am ramping that up.

Question for you though: what do you mean when you say that your work won't let you take on other jobs? You can't even freelance? I've never heard of that and am interested to learn more :)
      My recent post How to Live on One Income

12. Peter says

Something about these income reports… it does something to me. I think it's the numbers and seeing how so many people are doing this and making money online, I guess it encourages me.

Michelle, how often should you blog? or better yet, what's the minimum number of post you should have per week to get the ball rolling. I just started blogging, and no one told me how this was going to consume me so much. I have a full time job and I feel like it's really taking a toll into my job as well. Anybody have good blogging schedule I should adapt or try out?
    My recent post 5 Memorable Mother’s Day Gifts on a Budget