Do you want to learn how to sell on Etsy?
You can sell all different kinds of products on Etsy, from digital products, to both new and vintage physical items. You can sell printables, jewelry, craft supplies, clothing, home decor, furniture, art, and so much more on the Etsy website.
Today, I have a great interview to share with you on how to sell on Etsy successfully. I interviewed Nancy Badillo, an Etsy shop expert. She helps Etsy sellers turn their passions into profits by teaching them how to start, manage, and scale their Etsy shop to a full-time income.
Nancy has 7 years experience as an Etsy seller. She started selling on Etsy in 2016 and made $21,000 in her first year. She then made $60,000 by her second year on Etsy.
Are you wondering questions such as:
- How much money can you make on Etsy?
- How can I decide what to sell on Etsy?
- What sells best on Etsy?
- Is it still worth it to sell on Etsy in 2023?
Today’s interview will help you get started selling on Etsy and perhaps even introduce you to a new way to make money. Or, you may learn how to improve the Etsy shop that you already have!
Also, Nancy created Etsy Mastery Course, which has been taken by over 8,000 people. This course will help you to learn the exact steps to make a full-time income from your own Etsy shop. You will learn how to choose a profitable product to sell, how to decide on an Etsy shop name, learn all about Etsy SEO, how to price your items on Etsy, how to provide an excellent customer service experience, and so much more. This course is jam packed full of educational lessons so that you can learn how to sell on Etsy.
Related content on how to sell on Etsy for beginners:
- How I Make Money Selling Printables On Etsy
- 16 Best Things To Sell On Etsy To Make Money
- How To Make $1,000+ A Month Selling Stickers Online
- 25 Of The Best Work From Home Jobs To Make $1,000+ Monthly
- How I Make $2,000+ Monthly Selling Canva Templates
How To Sell On Etsy
1. Please give us a little background on yourself and how you started selling on Etsy.
My name is Nancy Badillo and I’ve been in the online marketing space since 2009. I started my career in the digital space after losing my home, going through bankruptcy, and ultimately hitting rock bottom.
I had heard of people who made money online and started researching how to make money online. I didn’t make any money during my first couple of years in the digital space. It was such a learning curve. I had a lot of trials and failures, and I had to teach myself everything.
I started making money online with affiliate marketing. At that moment, I realized the power of online marketing and how anyone can truly make money online. I started my blog NancyBadillo.com back in 2013 with the hopes of helping other entrepreneurs succeed online.
In 2016, I started selling on Etsy as a case study and another way to make money online and my first year on Etsy I made $21,000. I was able to triple my income the second year on Etsy.
I then decided to niche down and become an Etsy coach to help sellers turn their passions into profits.
2. What makes you an expert in selling on Etsy?
What makes me an expert in selling on Etsy is that I have 13+ years’ experience as a Digital Marketing Specialist, 7 year’s experience as an Etsy seller, I made over six-figures on Etsy, and have helped thousands of students make a full-time income.
As a seasoned “Etsy Expert” I stand out from the crowd by providing practical, step-by-step advice to help you achieve results. It’s not enough to tell my students what they should do; instead, I show them how and why their actions are important in increasing success and profitability on Etsy.
Holding your hand each step of the way is part of our process – ensuring clarity about which strategies truly benefit quality over quantity output for maximum profit margins.
3. What is Etsy?
Etsy is an online marketplace that allows people to buy and sell handmade, vintage, and unique items. It was founded in 2005 and has since grown into a platform that connects millions of buyers and sellers around the world.
Etsy offers a wide range of products, including jewelry, clothing, home decor, furniture, and art, among others. The platform is known for its emphasis on creativity, originality, and community, and has become a popular destination for people looking for unique and handmade items.
In addition to its online marketplace, Etsy also provides tools and resources to help sellers manage their businesses, including marketing and payment processing services.
4. How much money can you make on Etsy?
The amount of money you can make on Etsy depends on several factors, including the type of products you sell, your pricing strategy, the competition in your niche, and your marketing and promotion efforts.
Some sellers on Etsy make a full-time income while others use it as a side hustle or hobby.
5. How can a person decide what to sell on Etsy?
Deciding what to sell on Etsy can be a challenging but exciting process. Here are some steps you can follow to help you decide what to sell:
- Identify your passion and skills: Start by thinking about what you’re passionate about and what skills you have. This could be anything from jewelry making to woodworking, baking, or crafting.
- Research the market: Look at what’s currently selling well on Etsy and what type of products are in high demand. Consider what makes your product unique and different from others in the market.
- Consider your target audience: Who are you selling to? What are their interests and needs? Knowing your target audience can help you determine what type of products they’re looking for and what they’re willing to pay for.
- Conduct a feasibility analysis: Before investing time and money into a product, make sure there’s a market for it. Consider factors such as production costs, competition, and the potential demand for the product.
- Test the market: Start by selling a small quantity of your product and gauge customer interest. Use the feedback you receive to improve and refine your product before investing more time and resources.
- Diversify your offerings: Consider offering a range of products to appeal to a wider audience and increase your chances of success.
Remember, finding success on Etsy takes time and effort, but with a well-researched product and a strong brand, you can build a successful business on the platform.
6. What is the easiest thing to sell on Etsy?
The easiest thing to sell on Etsy will depend on various factors such as your skills, resources, and target audience.
However, here are some popular and in-demand product categories that are generally easier to sell on Etsy:
- Jewelry: Handmade jewelry is a popular category on Etsy and can be relatively easy to produce.
- Printables: Digital products such as printables, digital art, and graphics are popular on Etsy and are easy to create and sell.
- Home decor: Handmade home decor items such as pillows, curtains, and wall art are also in demand on Etsy.
- Stationery and paper goods: Handmade greeting cards, note cards, and other paper products are popular and easy to make.
- Candles and soap: Handmade candles and soap are relatively easy to make and have a loyal following on Etsy.
It’s important to keep in mind that while these product categories may be popular and in-demand, it’s still important to conduct market research and test the market to determine what’s selling well and what your target audience is looking for.
7. What are the steps to start selling on Etsy?
Here are the steps to start selling on Etsy:
- Sign up for an Etsy account: To start selling on Etsy, you’ll need to create a seller account. This process is simple and straightforward and can be done on the Etsy website.
- Set up your shop: Next, you’ll need to set up your Etsy shop. This includes choosing a shop name, setting up payment and shipping options, and creating your shop policies.
- Create your first product listing: You’ll need to create a product listing for each item you want to sell. This includes writing a product description, uploading photos, and setting a price.
- Market your shop: To attract buyers to your shop, you’ll need to promote your products and market your shop. This can include advertising on social media, participating in Etsy’s advertising programs, and optimizing your product listings for search engines.
- Process orders and shipments: Once you start receiving orders, you’ll need to process them and ship your products to your customers. Etsy provides tools to help you manage your orders, process payments, and track shipments.
- Monitor your shop’s performance: Regularly monitor your shop’s performance to see what’s working and what’s not. Use this information to continuously improve your shop and increase sales.
By following these steps, you can set up a successful Etsy shop and start selling your products.
Remember, success on Etsy takes time and effort, but with a well-researched product and a strong brand, you can build a successful business on the platform.
8. Can you explain why Etsy SEO is important? What is Etsy SEO?
Etsy SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the process of optimizing your Etsy shop and listings to rank higher in Etsy’s search results. Essentially, it involves making changes to your shop and listings to increase their visibility and attract more potential customers.
Etsy SEO is important because it directly affects your shop’s visibility and the number of potential customers who can find it. By optimizing your listings and shop for specific keywords and phrases, you can rank higher in Etsy’s search results, making it easier for customers to find and purchase your products.
The higher your ranking in search results, the more likely customers will visit your shop and make a purchase. Therefore, by improving your Etsy SEO, you can increase your sales and grow your business on Etsy.
Some key factors that can impact your Etsy SEO include the relevance of your listing titles and tags, the quality of your product photos, the accuracy and completeness of your product descriptions, and the number and quality of reviews you receive.
In summary, Etsy SEO is essential to running a successful Etsy shop as it helps you attract more potential customers and increase your sales.
9. What are some Etsy SEO strategies you can share with us today?
Here are some Etsy SEO (search engine optimization) strategies to help improve the visibility of your shop and increase sales:
- Keyword research: Research keywords related to your products and include them in your product titles, tags, and descriptions. Use keywords that accurately describe your products and are relevant to your target audience.
- Use clear and descriptive titles: Use clear and descriptive titles for your products that accurately reflect what you’re selling. This will help improve your shop’s visibility in search results.
- Optimize product tags: Use relevant tags for each of your products. This will help shoppers find your products when they search for specific keywords.
- Use high-quality photos: Use high-quality photos that accurately represent your products. Make sure your photos are clear, bright, and well-lit, and that they show your products from multiple angles.
- Write detailed product descriptions: Write detailed and descriptive product descriptions that accurately describe your products and their features. Use keywords, but also make sure your descriptions are engaging and easy to read.
- Encourage customer reviews: Encourage customers to leave reviews of your products. Positive reviews can help improve your shop’s visibility and credibility.
- Promote your shop: Promote your shop and products on social media and other platforms to reach a wider audience. This can include advertising on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
By following these Etsy SEO strategies, you can improve the visibility of your shop and increase sales.
It’s important to continually analyze and optimize your shop to ensure that your products are being seen by the right people and that your shop is performing well.
10. Is it still worth it to sell on Etsy in 2023?
Yes, it’s still worth it to sell on Etsy in 2023. Etsy has a large and active customer base and provides a platform for artisans, crafters, and vintage sellers to reach a global audience. With over 2.7 million active sellers, Etsy offers a diverse range of products and a highly engaged community of shoppers.
However, selling on Etsy requires effort and dedication, and success is not guaranteed. To be successful on Etsy, you need to have a unique and well-made product, a well-branded shop, and a marketing strategy that reaches your target audience.
It’s also important to keep in mind that competition on Etsy can be intense, with many sellers offering similar products. To stand out from the crowd, it’s important to have a clear brand identity, high-quality photos and product descriptions, and excellent customer service.
Overall, Etsy can still be a viable platform for sellers in 2023, but success will depend on factors such as the quality of your products, your marketing strategy, and your ability to stand out from the competition.
11. What other tips do you have for someone who wants to learn how to make money on Etsy?
Here are some tips for someone who wants to learn how to make money on Etsy:
- Research your market: Research your target audience and competition to understand what products are popular and in demand. Use this information to create a product line that appeals to your target audience and stands out from the competition.
- Create high-quality products: Make sure your products are well-made and of high quality. This will help you establish a positive reputation and attract repeat customers.
- Have clear branding: Establish a clear brand identity for your shop, including a logo and shop banner. Use consistent branding across all your listings, product descriptions, and communication with customers.
- Use high-quality photos: Use high-quality, clear, and bright photos to showcase your products. Make sure your photos accurately represent your products and show them from multiple angles.
- Write detailed product descriptions: Write detailed and descriptive product descriptions that accurately reflect your products and their features. Use keywords, but also make sure your descriptions are engaging and easy to read.
- Offer excellent customer service: Respond promptly to customer inquiries and orders, and provide excellent customer service. This will help you establish a positive reputation and encourage repeat business.
- Market your shop: Promote your shop and products on social media, your website, and other platforms to reach a wider audience. This can include advertising on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Continuously analyze and optimize your shop: Continuously analyze your shop’s performance to see what’s working and what’s not. Use this information to make improvements and optimize your shop for success.
By following these tips, you can improve your chances of success and make money on Etsy.
Remember, success on Etsy takes time and effort, but with a well-researched product and a strong brand, you can build a successful business on the platform.
12. What can a person learn from your course? Can you tell us about some of the people who have successfully taken your course?
My signature program the Etsy Mastery Course, vetted by 8,000+ students and counting.
The Etsy Mastery Course is my 4 Step Framework to achieve Etsy growth and grow your shop to a full-time income. Yes, the focus is on revenue. 💰
I know Etsy changes a LOT and I’m keeping you fully up to date inside the Etsy Mastery Course.
Plus, get 24/7 coaching directly from me in the private members-only Facebook group.
Your membership includes ongoing support in the form of accountability check-ins and email follow-ups, bi-weekly Facebook lives, ensuring you’re on track and not missing any important steps.
Melinda Caldwell joined the Etsy Mastery Course in the middle of May, and her monthly income was stuck at earning a couple of hundred dollars a month. She was trying to build momentum, but barely anything was working.
Here’s what happened AFTER she enrolled:
Melinda started her printable shop within two short months and made $494.62, having no experience selling printables.
The second shop that was earning her a couple of hundred dollars a month took off, and in July, she went from hundreds of dollars to $8.450.17.
Yes, you read that correctly!
She now has a repeatable process she can follow month after month to make passive income selling printables and apply all she has learned to her other Etsy shop.
Next, meet Clare.
When she joined the Etsy Mastery Course, she had less 5 sales that took her one year to get. A few months into the program, she gained 300 sales and 50+ raving reviews.
Summary: How To Sell On Etsy
I hope you enjoyed this interview on how to sell on Etsy successfully.
There are many different things you can sell on Etsy, from handmade goods to vintage items to craft supplies, and so much more.
It is easy to register and sign up for an Etsy storefront, so if you are interested, start today!
The amount of money you can make on Etsy will vary. Some small business owners may be able to make a full-time income, whereas others may only be looking to make a little extra money each month. This will depend on the inventory you keep, the amount of work you are putting towards selling on Etsy, and more.
With Etsy Payments, you can receive payment for the items that you sell on Etsy through payment methods such as credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Etsy gift cards.
One of the best things you can learn when it comes to learning how to sell on Etsy successfully is learning Etsy SEO, which is similar to how Google works. When you type in a product on Etsy, you want your potential purchasers to find your product first – and learning Etsy search results tips can help you achieve that.
Etsy does have a transaction fee/listing fees, which makes sense because you are using their great website/platform in order to sell your goods. There are other ecommerce platforms that you can use (such as Amazon or eBay), but many prefer the Etsy platform as you have an audience already on the Etsy website looking to buy items. You can list your first item for only $0.20, and you only pay the transaction and payment processing fees (6.5% transaction fee, 3% + $0.25 payment processing fee) when you make a sale. Other than these Etsy fees, you’ll also want to think about what your shipping cost will be on an item, making shipping labels, and more, as well as think about advertising fees and Etsy ads.
Opening an Etsy shop can be a great way to earn an income from home, and they have a plentiful amount of buyers looking for interesting goods to purchase – from vintage items, handmade goods, crafts, to jewelry, and more.
I hope you see a lot of success with your Etsy storefront and reach many potential customers. Have fun selling on Etsy!
Are you interested in learning how to sell on Etsy? What would you sell in your Etsy store?