If you are new here, welcome to my post about how to make an extra $1,000 a month and the different ways to side hustle! I suggest you read my monthly income blogging reports as well, where I show you how I earn over $100,000 a month online.
One question I receive a few times each month from new readers is what they can do to make extra money each month, such as how to make $1,000 a month. They’re not sure where to start when it comes to earning extra income, or even if it’s possible to make 1000 a month.
I understand this.
Before I started side hustling, I didn’t know much about different ways to make extra money. Then, I started blogging and came across so many side hustlers I couldn’t believe it.
They opened my eyes and showed me that side hustling and making extra money above and beyond my day job was possible.
- 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money
- How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA
- 8 Items To Sell Around Your Home For Extra Money
- 30+ Ways To Save Money Each Month
- 12 Work From Home Jobs That Can Earn You $1,000+ Each Month
- 24 Best Work From Home Jobs
The reasons for why I first wanted to make extra money and learn how to make $1000 a month included:
- We wanted to pay off my student loans quickly. I knew I didn’t want to be paying my student loans 20 years down the line. Due to side hustling, I was able to pay off my student loans in just 7 months!
- The fact that we weren’t saving as much as we would have liked. We were saving a little, but not enough where it actually mattered.
- We knew we wanted to travel. With the income we had at the time, traveling just didn’t seem possible.
- We wanted to pursue our passions and not feel stuck in a job that we didn’t love.
These side hustles completely changed our lives for the better, and we still can’t believe how different our lives are from just a few years ago.
We feel incredibly lucky, but I do attribute how far we’ve come to all of the hard work that was put into side hustles.
There are many different ways for you to make extra money each month, and even ways to make an extra $1,000 a month are possible. You may not be able to make $1,000 from just one side job (you may need 2 or 3), but depending on the amount of time and effort that you put into it, it may be possible.
If you say “Oh, $1,000 is NOT possible,” then I want you to think again. There are plenty of other side hustlers out there sharing their journey about how they are making extra money, you just have to look. They are proof that it is possible.
Below are my tips on how to make an extra $1,000 a month:
Start a blog to make extra money.
Of course, this one is going to be the first on my list of different ways to make an extra $1,000 a month due to the fact that I am a blogger and I write online. I’m currently earning around $100,000 a month and travel full-time, and you can read more about how in my monthly online income reports.
I created Making Sense of Cents almost six years ago, and since then, I have earned over $4,000,000 with my blog.
Blogging changed my life for the better, and it allows me to earn thousands of dollars a month, all by doing something that I love.
My blog was created on a whim as a way to track my own personal finance progress. And, when I started in 2011, I honestly didn’t even know that people could make money blogging!
I did not create Making Sense of Cents to earn money from home, but after only six months, I began to make money.
Blogging is quite affordable to start, and it’s easy as well.
- How To Quit Your Job And Become A Full-Time Blogger
- How I Successfully Built A $1,000,000+ Blog
- The Ultimate Guide To Blogging Income Sources
- How I Made $979,321 In 2016
- How To Make Extra Money
Blogging has allowed me to take control of my finances and earn more money. It means I can work from home, travel whenever I want, have a flexible schedule, and more! As you can see, blogging completely changed my life for the better, and if you are interested, I urge you to learn how to start your own.
I recommend checking out my online course for bloggers, Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. I earn over $50,000 a month through affiliate marketing and I share my exact strategy and tips in this very informative online course. If you’re a blogger (even if you’re a new blogger!), then you NEED this course.
You can easily learn how to start a blog with my free How To Start a Blog Course.
Here’s a quick outline of what you will learn:
- Day 1: Reasons you should start a blog.
- Day 2: How to determine what to blog about.
- Day 3: How to create your blog. In this lesson, you will learn how to start a blog on WordPress. My tutorial makes it very easy to start a blog.
- Day 4: How to make money blogging.
- Day 5: My tips for making passive income from blogging.
- Day 6: How to grow your traffic and followers.
- Day 7: Miscellaneous blogging tips that will help you be successful.
Answer surveys to make money from home
Did you know that you can get paid to answer surveys and test products? They’re free to join and free to use!
It’s best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
Survey companies I recommend as one of the ways to make extra money include:
- American Consumer Opinion
- Survey Junkie
- Opinion Outpost
- Pinecone Research
- Prize Rebel
- Survey Club
Here are 11 Paid Online Survey Sites if you want to learn more.
Become a bookkeeper to earn money from home.
Ben, founder of Bookkeeper Business Academy, explains how becoming a bookkeeper may be a possibility for you.
Ben helps people start and grow their own bookkeeping business with his online bookkeeping course.
And, guess what?
You don’t have to be an accountant or have any previous experience!
In this interview, we talk about:
- What a bookkeeper is.
- The typical clients a bookkeeper has.
- How much new bookkeepers earn.
- How to become a bookkeeper.
- The positives and negatives of bookkeeping, and more.
Learn more at Make Money At Home By Becoming A Bookkeeper.
Also, you can sign up here for Ben’s free series that will teach you more about running your own virtual bookkeeping business.
Become an online tutor.
Course Hero is a website that helps high school and college students with course-specific questions.
Using the website, students connect with Course Hero tutors on a wide range of subjects and classes, which makes this a great online work from home job for people with different educational backgrounds and experience.
What might surprise you to learn is that you don’t have to be a certified tutor, a professor, or a teacher in order to become a Course Hero tutor.
However, you will need to share information that proves you have expertise in the subjects you would like to help students with.
Tutors earn an average of $3 for each question they answer on Course Hero. Earning between $12-$20 per hour, Course Hero tutors earn an average of $300 a week.
Build an online store.
This is one of the work from home jobs that many people are surprised to hear about. But yes, you can start your own online store, and you don’t need to have tons of experience or a lot of money to do so. Many people start with absolutely no background.
I had the opportunity to interview Jenn Leach of E-commerce and Prosper, who explains exactly how to start an online store.
Jenn is a corporate mom turned e-commerce store owner and blogger.
She started her online business a little over three years ago, and since then, she has developed and grown three successful online e-commerce stores earning an average of $19,000 per month.
She is super successful despite only spending around 5-10 hours per week on her e-commerce business.
You can read our interview at How Jenn Makes Over $10,000 A Month With Her Online Store In Less Than 10 Hours Per Week.
Run Facebook ads for local businesses.
Did you know that you can make a living from Facebook? With Facebook advertising, you can help businesses expand their reach.
And, yes, this is a skill that you can learn!
Last year, business owners spent over $88,000,000 per day on Facebook ads. This is expected to continue to grow, and it is one of the largest advertising spaces that exists.
My blogging friend Bobby Hoyt knows a lot about this topic. Bobby is a former high school teacher who paid off $40,000 of student loan debt in a year and a half. He now runs the personal finance blog Millennial Money Man full-time, as well as a digital marketing agency for local businesses that he started in 2015.
I interviewed Bobby about running Facebook ads, and in our interview, you will learn:
- How he started earning income through running Facebook ads
- Why small businesses want Facebook ads
- How a person can find their first Facebook ads client
- How much you can make doing this type of work – the average is around $1,000 extra a month per client
Also, Bobby has a free webinar on this topic too. His webinar (you can sign up here) will teach you how to start this business even if you’re brand new, how to find paying clients, and more.
Babysit or nanny to earn extra income.
When I was in high school and before I could drive, I watched a child who lived in my neighborhood. I worked around 40 hours per week in the summer, and a little bit less when school was in session.
I found a flyer on my neighborhood bulletin board, called them, had an interview, and was hired. The pay was $10 an hour, which definitely was not bad for a 14-year-old, and for me to walk just a few homes down the road.
The kid was also amazing and was not once ever a terror, even though I started watching him when he was around 8 months.
Does anyone know what the average pay for babysitters is now these days? That $10 an hour I received was around 10 years ago…
Mow lawns for a side hustle.
If you’re wondering “How can I make $1000 fast legally?” – this is a great place to start!
Mowing lawns can actually be a quite profitable business. I know of a few people who constantly have mowing jobs. They make somewhere around $30 to $50 per lawn and do around 20 to 30 lawns a week.
If you’re already doing lawns, then there may be other services that you may be able to add as well. You could also clean gutters, do Spring or Fall yard cleanups, garden, and more.
There is one drawback though. Depending on where you live, there may not be grass all year-long, which means that there might be a period of around 6 months where you don’t have any work. Usually during this time though, many lawn companies switch to being snow-related companies – such as shoveling snow or plowing snow.
Teach English to earn money from home.
Did you know that you may be able to teach English online to children?
VIPKID is a company that allows you to work from home, create your own schedule, and earn $18-21 per hour (many teachers are earning over $1,000 per month) all while teaching English online.
They are currently in high need of teachers, too!
This company has been featured on Forbes, CNBC, Wall Street Journal, Woman’s Day, and more.
Here’s VIPKID’s teacher requirements:
- Applicant must have an Undergraduate degree.
- Minimum one year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education.
- You need internet and a computer.
- Lesson plans, course materials, etc. are all provided by VIPKID.
- You should have fun teaching engaged children.
You can apply to teach through VIPKID here.
Sign up for free courses that will teach you how to make an extra $1,000 a month.
There are many great free courses that will teach you how to make an extra $1,000 a month and more.
- How To Start A Blog FREE Course: With this free email course, I show you exactly how to create a blog, from the technical side (it’s easy – trust me!) all the way to earning your first income and attracting followers. Each day for seven days, you will receive an email in your inbox that will help you create a successful and profitable blog, all from the very beginning. You can sign up here.
- How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA: The first year that Jessica’s family ran their Amazon FBA business together, working less than 20 hours a week total, they made over 6 figures profit! Check out this interview for more information on how to work from home selling on Amazon FBA. Jessica also has a FREE 7 day email course that will help people understand all of the basics of this business. I recommend signing up for it now!
- Make Money Proofreading By Becoming A Freelance Proofreader: In 2014, Caitlin made slightly over $43,000 by being a freelance proofreader, while also going on several fun vacations. Caitlin has put together a FREE 76-minute workshop, where she answers all of the most common questions about becoming a proofreader, and she even shows you how to use the most popular tools used by proofreaders around the world. You can sign up for free here.
- Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer Or Virtual Assistant: Gina is a professional writer and virtual assistant. In just six months, Gina was able to earn over $4,000 per month as a writer. She also has a great free writing course as well as a free virtual assistant course if you want to try them out for free.
Other jobs you could do to make an extra $1,000 a month include:
- Walk dogs.
- Sell services on Fiverr.
- InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up!
- Teach another language.
- This isn’t a job, but student loan refinancing can be helpful! You can save a lot of money through student loan consolidation such as with Credible, especially if you have high interest federal or private loans. Plus, Credible is giving Making Sense of Cents readers a $100 bonus when they refinance with Credible.
- Use Ebates when you shop online for free cash back. If you sign up you can also score a free $10 cash back through my link.
- Substitute teach.
- Post on social media –If you have social media accounts, you may be able to make money by posting advertisements on your accounts. One company that is popular for this is Izea. You can learn more about making money through Izea here.
- Rent out your house to vacationers.
- Sell items online to learn how to make money online.
- Part-time retail job.
- Find a part-time or full-time job on Snagajob (there are tons of jobs listed all over on this website!)
- Take part in research studies.
- Mystery shop.
- Coach/referee at a school and/or a sport.
- You can find even more ways in my post 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money.
If you don’t want to work any more than you already do, then read my post How To Save 50% Or More Of Your Income. This post shows you many great ways to cut your budget.
What do you do for extra money? Are you interested in learning how to make $1000 a month? Do you think making an extra $1,000 a month is possible?