Are you looking for easy freezer meals for new moms and dads?
Having a baby is an exciting time, but between feeding and sleeping schedules, it’s hard to find time to make sure that you are well-fed and rested too.
That’s why having some easy meals on hand is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
I recently had my first child, and a month before my due date, I made sure to start thinking about meal planning. So many of my friends and bloggers I follow mentioned how helpful it was to start meal prepping for those first few weeks, and I took their advice.
The problem is that living on a boat means we have a very small amount of fridge and freezer space available, so carefully planning and prepping in advance was especially important!
I knew that I wanted to eliminate as much stress as possible once the baby came, and looking for easy freezer meals for new moms and parents helped me eliminate some of that stress.
Because I spent so much time researching different meals and freezer snacks for new moms, I decided to put together a list of the best ones I found.
My daughter is now 6 months old, and the meals I am sharing with you today were a huge help during those first couple of months.
Wes and I were learning how to take care of her and adjust to having a baby and having these meals all ready to go in the freezer meant we stayed fed.
Here are some of my favorite recipes on this list:
- Freezer Oatmeal Cups – These are great for breakfast or snacks, and you can use almost any fresh or dried fruit you have. Plus, if you are breastfeeding, I’ve read that oatmeal can boost milk production.
- Make-Ahead Mexican Lasagna – This combines two of my favorite types of foods: Mexican and pasta. You can also get a lot of leftovers out of this recipe.
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches – This simple breakfast sandwich recipe can easily be made vegetarian, and the sandwiches heat up quickly in the microwave. And, this is a great one-hand meal while you’re holding your baby.
Those are just a few of the recipes I’m sharing with you today.
All of the easy freezer meals for new moms and dads on this list are easy to prepare, delicious, and turn out great once you reheat them.
Before I share the recipes, here’s a little more about freezer meals:
What meals should I freeze after having a baby?
The different meals and snacks that you could freeze for postpartum include:
- Breakfast sandwiches
- Make-ahead chicken (this is like cooked and shredded chicken that you can add to salads, wraps, sandwiches, and more)
Crockpot freezer meals for new moms are another great idea because cooking in a crockpot makes your life even easier. The way most crockpot freezer meals work is that you cut up all of the ingredients in advance and put them in a freezer-safe plastic bag with the herbs and spices. The only thing you leave out is the liquid.
When should I start making freezer meals for postpartum?
A good time to start making easy freezer meals for new moms is around 1-2 months before your due date.
You can start as early as you want, but they may have freezer burn if you start them too early. So keep that in mind before you get started.
You also don’t want to push them off until it’s too close to your due date. Babies are unpredictable and can come at any time!
Related: Best Baby Gear – Guide For New Parents
How many meals should I make for postpartum time?
Most of the easy freezer meals for new moms on this list make around six servings. That means each meal should get you and your partner through 2-3 meals depending on how hungry you are.
If you have other children at home, one freezer meal may only last a day.
I planned on having 10 freezer meals ready for the first month. We didn’t end up eating them all that first month, but they did help over the following couple of months.
Besides being busy with a new baby, think about what other things will be happening in those first few weeks. Will family come to visit? Will you need to go back to work right away? Do your other kids have activities happening?
If you have more people in your family and have more going on, it may help to make more freezer meals.
How long are freezer meals good for?
According to the USDA, freezer meals are good as long as they are frozen. However, the flavor and texture of the food can start to degrade after about three months.
That’s why starting to make meals about 1-2 months before you are due is good to keep you fed through approximately the first month of postpartum meals.
I did try a couple of these freezer meals a little after the three-month mark, and I didn’t notice much of a difference. But, I think you would definitely start noticing a difference after six months to a year.
Tips for making easy freezer meals for new moms and dads
Below are tips for making your freezer meals as easy as possible:
- Clearly label anything you freeze with the name of the meal and the date. You can also add instructions for cooking on the freezer bag too.
- Use freezer-quality plastic bags to protect your food in the freezer. There are even reusable freezer bags that you can use over and over again.
- Spend a few hours or an entire day making as many freezer meals as possible – this saves time, and you can easily prep 3-5 or more at a time.
- If it’s just you and your partner, you can divide the freezer meals in half and freeze them in separate bags.
- Double the recipes if you want even more leftovers or if you have a large family.
- Lay your bags flat in the freezer to freeze. Once they are frozen, you can move them, but freezing them flat helps save space in your freezer.
Now that we’ve covered all of your questions about freezer meals, below are 15 easy freezer meals for new moms and dads.
15 easy freezer meals for new moms and dads:
1. Easy Freezer To Oven Chicken Parmesan
2. Make Ahead Mexican Lasagna
3. Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
4. Super Easy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
5. Lasagna Roll Up
This recipe for Lasagna Rollups is from NatashasKitchen.
6. Easy Cabbage Soup
This recipe for Cabbage Soup is from NatashasKitchen.
7. Freezer Breakfast Burritos
8. Beef Topped Bean Enchiladas For Slow Cookers
9. Pesto Ranch Chicken Freezer Meal
10. Breakfast Burritos
11. Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches
12. Ground Beef Stroganoff Freezer Meal
13. Freezer Oatmeal Cups
14. Mini Healthy Carrot And Zucchini Muffins
15. Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins
What else should be on this list for easy freezer meals for new moms and dads?
giulia lombardo says
I arguably agree that not only do new moms and dads need to eat healthy, but also aspiring content creators. It’s imperative to eat healthy, keep cardio up to par, and exercise often to keep up in the digital nomad lifestyle.
Brian Winch says
No list of freezer meals is complete without chili.