May was another great month for us. It was my birthday month and I did a good amount of traveling. I went to Utah, Nevada, California, St. Louis, and Gulf Shores in May and had a great time on these trips.
Colorado is still treating us very well. We are enjoying all of the outdoor activities that Colorado offers and everything else around here.
The only negative I can think of from this past month is that our house is still for sale. Let’s hope June is the month for us!
Our food budget.
We did not do too well with our food budget in May. We spent way over $500 but that was mainly due to not being home for the majority of the month. The food spending was all planned and budgeted for though.
I wish I could say that June will be better, but that most likely will not happen. We will be traveling many times over the next two months to visit family, friends, attend a wedding, and more, so food spending will be through the roof until then.
We will still be trying out best until then to lower our food spending though.
We’re down to one car!
In May, we finally made the decision to have just one car.
We are now saving around $600 a month, over $7,000 a year, just by making this one change!
As you might remember from my post Should We Get Rid Of A Car And Just Have One?, we have been thinking a lot lately about slimming down to just one car. Since both of our cars need to be registered here in Colorado, we had to think somewhat quick about what we wanted to do (we wanted to avoid the $1,000 in registration fees that we would have had to pay in Colorado, especially since we still have to pay for it in Missouri for this year as well).
In the end, we decided to slim down. While we were both VERY sad to get rid of our Jeep Wrangler, we knew that this was the right decision for us for many reasons. The reasons included:
- We never needed both cars. Since we both work from home, there has never really been a situation where we both needed a car at the same time.
- The Wrangler got horrible gas mileage. Less than 15 miles per gallon most of the time. We will definitely be getting a Wrangler in the future, but not until we need two cars again.
- We want to be more minimalist. With one car, there is less maintenance required, less cars to register, less cars to take care of, and more.
- The money savings. Considering the fact that we don’t need two cars, the fact that we could so easily save $600 a month felt stupid to keep passing up.
Even though it’s only been a few days since we made this change, we’ve already been super happy with it!
May Goals Update
- Work out! PASS! This will be on my goals list for awhile as it’s a great motivator to see it here each month. We have both been doing very well with working out and we have been feeling better than ever.
- Work ahead on Making Sense of Cents posts. FAIL. I fell behind on this due to all of the traveling that happened in May. It was nice because I was able to enjoy my trips, but it’s sad to be back to where I used to be. I’m hoping to change this in the next few months though.
- Try to work less when on vacation. PASS! I still worked a little bit on vacation, but I didn’t work as much as I usually would. A lot of this has to do with working ahead of time on most of my projects. It really helped!
- Work out! This will be one of my goals for awhile as it’s a great motivator to see it here each month. Working out is so much more fun when you’re hiking, rock climbing, and more. Loving it here in Colorado!
- Get two weeks ahead on Making Sense of Cents posts. This is still a goal of mine. I would like to be one month ahead, especially since I have a ton of traveling for the rest of the year. Living so far away from everyone makes traveling almost a necessity since I don’t want to miss out on any important events in the lives of those that I love!
- Start my attempt to learn another language. It’s been a dream/goal of mine for awhile to learn another language. I’m not sure where to start or even what language I want to learn, but I know I want to start somewhere. What are some great programs to learn a new language?
What great things are going on in your life? How did you do in May? What is your main goal for June?
Below are pictures (all from my phone, sorry) from our new home and recent trips.