Recently, I had the opportunity to review a relatively new website that goes by the name of GeekStok. GeekStok allows users to play the real stock market with the ability to win real money.
Using GeekStok allows users to test their investment skills by playing in a virtual stock market. The thing is though is that the game seems very real, as they use real companies with their real stock prices.
GeekStok is run with actual money. From their website:
Our virtual currency, the Geeko (G$), is equivalent to US$0.01. This means one dollar buys you 100 Geekos — enough to purchase stock at virtual companies like Facebook and Microsoft! You can purchase our virtual currency, the Geeko (G$), which is equivalent to US$0.01. This means one dollar buys you 100 Geekos — enough to purchase stock at virtual companies like Facebook and Microsoft! You can convert your virtual currency back to cash at any time. Subject to commissions and fees. A minimum average deposit of US$10.00 per month is required.
You start off by creating an account. Accounts are free to create and easy to create as well.
After you create your account, below is what you will see.
Here is a 5-bullet summary of my review of Geekstok to make the decision easier for you.
- Like I said earlier, it is very easy to create an account. In fact, the entire website is easy to use. It is very easy to learn about what exactly the site is about, it is easy to sign up, it is easy to build your portfolio, and they even have a forum too.
- I think anyone could use this website, just keep in mind that there is a fee to use it, even though it is cheap.
- Using GeekStok would be a great way to test the ropes, but do realize that no matter how well you do in the virtual world of GeekStok, it will not directly tell you how you will perform in the real stock market. It can be a great way to learn about investing though! We did something like this when I was in college and it was interesting to see where everyone was at the end of the semester.
- I like how they have the “Recent News” on the top right corner of the website after you log in. This is great because instead of just choosing random companies to put in your portfolio, you can read important news and see how that may impact your decision of what to invest in. Since it can be so easily found on the dashboard, it would be hard to miss!
- The site's Dashboard can easily allow you to see how everything is doing. You can see a quick snapshot of your portfolio review, along with a stock watch. The dashboard is also the first thing you see when you log into your account, which is nice.
Have you ever heard of GeekStok? Have you ever played a virtual investment game before?
The above is a paid review. All opinions are 100% mine though.
Join the free Master Your Money course!
Join the free email course and finally learn how to manage your money better, pay off debt, save more money, and reach financial freedom.