First off, I wanted everyone to know that is was 70 degrees here yesterday! This changing weather is really killing me. I think the low was around 25, so it’s such a huge difference.
Anyways, arlier this month I posted my 2012 goals, and then I noticed that Niki over at Debt Free by Thirty posted her 5-year plan. I guess this will just be a month full of me stating goals and hopefully accomplishing some. I hope no one is too bored.
Making a 5-year plan is very helpful. However, it’s hard to tell what my life will be like 5 years from now because I still feel so young and 5 years just feels forever away. I always think about how my life will be though. Not everything in my list is financial related, it’s also about things I would like and things that I need to do.
I’m hoping 5 years from now, I still have my same great friends, my wonderful BF, and my wonderful dogs.
Here’s what I/we hope to accomplish:
- Get my MBA
- Decrease my student loans to $15,000 (which would mean that I would hopefully have them done by early next year)
- Increase my net worth to $85,000.
- Fully fund $15,000 Emergency Fund
- Finish decorating the house
- Finally pick up the pool table. Our friend is selling his pool table for $200 (it’s really nice, he just needs it out of his house and he’s our friend so he gave us and his other friend a deal) but we just really aren’t looking forward to moving it. It weighs a ton. Hopefully we’ll get on that this year.
- All of my goals can be found in this post for 2012
- Pay off student loans completely (I would hope to have this done by the beginning of the year by using a lot of my bonus and any tax return money)
- Start aggressively paying off mortgage. Maybe $2,000 extra a month? This would just be me applying the same amount that I was paying for student loans.
- Add a bathroom to the basement
- Add a bar area to the basement
- Since my school loans will be paid off, I want to start saving more also
- Do more upgrades to the house
- Have our house at least 50% to 75% paid off. If we paid off at least $2,000 extra a month, this is very possible, or at least close. Of course if we decide in the next couple of years to move, then we most likely won’t be paying off such a large amount every month.
- Start planning and deciding if I want to get my Executive MBA. Yes I know, more school, kill me.
- Go on a month long vacation
- Go on a long hiking trip
- Be successful in my career
- Do lots of networking in my field
- Go to Thailand because I hear the beaches are amazing
- Get married. Right now we are just saving for one (ok not really), but we’re not in a rush. We already have pups and a house, and are pretty happy with life.
Do you have a 5 year plan? Where do you think you’ll be in life?