December is over, so I need to of course make my January goals. Hopefully I do much better than I did in December.
- Make 2012 goals. Hopefully I will get this done soon. I’m not sure what I want to accomplish, but I do have general ideas in my head right now.
- Reassess our budget and cut out $50. Our budget is pretty tight right now with our debt payoff, spending, and saving. We’ve gotten rid of most extras, but we can probably lower our entertainment budget more. We got lots of gift cards for Christmas (movies, spa, food, ice cream), so this should be easy to lower for at least the month of January.
- Start and finish homework before it’s due. Classes start in about 2 weeks, so I think I can start the new semester right.At least I’m hoping. I need to buy my textbooks soon. That should be a downer. I’m taking 4 classes this semester again, and they are all going to be pretty hard since they are all the highest level finance classes for my MBA program.
- Workout at least 1 time a week and eventually have some abs. I need to be healthy, this will tie into my 2012 year goals also. My goal in December was to work out at least 2 times a week, but that didn’t happen at all, so I’m not lowering this goal so that it can be more realistic. I want to get more toned, especially for all of the vacations that I’m going on this year. It’s always depressing when I work out though because I gain weight from muscle (yeah yeah I know, I shouldn’t be looking at the numbers), but it’s still sad to see the number go up!
- Volunteer at least two days this month. My training for volunteering starts on January 7th, I’m super excited but I’m also worried about being too busy! I have training about 3 or 4 times this weekend, so this one will absolutely be a pass.
- Sell my stuff on Ebay. Since I forgot to do this last month, I need to do it soon.
- Take down my Christmas tree. I hate doing this. Our last Christmas dinner was last night, so it’s of course still up. When does everyone take theirs down? I usually wait until the last second when people start saying that it’s weird that it’s still up.
- Make an extra $500 this month. I still have a couple more text books to sell, and this will easily make me around $300. The extra $200 could come from surveys and secret shopping easily also.
- Save around $350 per month for my vacations this year. Going on vacations in March, May, August, and September most likely. We need around $1,000 for each vacation. I’m pretty sure I talked about this before, but I get nearly free airline tickets through my dad’s retirement survivor’s benefits, so it makes our vacations very cheap.
What are your January goals?
I just took pictures of everything I need to sell online. I've never done it before so I'm hoping the stuff actually sells-haha. I looked into doing the secret shopping thing years ago but it all seemed to be scams. What company do you do it through?
Dearest Lou says
You have such great goals for this year! I just blogged about my goals(: What a lovely blog, Glad I found you so I could followYou should come check out my blog if you've got a sec (;dearest-lou.blogspot.com
Out My window says
Great goals, I love your goals because I feel they are centered so much on enjoying life. I think I need to do that more!
Awesome list Michelle! So glad you found my blog 🙂 – we can mutually stress over work and school. I'm just hoping I've budgeted enough for my textbooks this semester!
Valerie Griffin says
Annemarie @ Brunch a says
I love this post, especially the part about reassessing your budget. As uncomfortable as it makes me to face all of our expenses, I must do the same this week to start the year off right. Bookmarking this post- it's a great motivator!
Good luck with all your goals. I need to find a way to make some money while I'm at school….xx Emily @ laughliveandshop.blogspot.com
My tree came down on Saturday. We de decorated on Friday and The Boyfriend had the tree outside on Saturday morning by the time I woke up.Your so lucky that you get the plane tickets for next to nothing. I'm sure that makes traveling a breeze!
Jealous of your airline miles! I wanna get a reward credit card, but feel obligated to pay off our other debt first. This year we got a real tree…so getting rid of it is going to be a challenge this year compared to others…
Newlyweds on a Budge says
i think secret shopping and surveys is a good way to make extra money. you should also advertise on your blog if you're open to it. it would help reach that extra money goals.
Anne Sabine says
Those goals sound great! Haven't even thought of goals yet for the month, but will do so once I start to settle in. But definitely want to be on top of work for my MBA and also start working out even if it is for a little bit.
Love your goals! I haven't thought of my January goals… I think I'll work on them for tomorrow! 🙂 Our Christmas stuff isn't down yet, but if my arm wasn't so sore it would be… 😉
My quarter for school starts tomorrow. Haha. I've been working ahead all break!
Miss Piggy Bank says
Hi Michelle, Thanks for your comment.
Tabitha Lynn says
I love these. And I'll be checking our your ETSY soon. Found you through Hollie takes notes, and I immediately adore you. Excited to read more. Tabmy-cliffnotes.blogspot.com
Vale ♥ says
Here in Italy we take Xmas tree down on 7th January. I hate doing it too ! I want some abs too for January, read the other resolutions on my blog and if you like it let's follow each other <3 Kisses + Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!!!Fashion and Cookies Follow Fashion and Cookies with BloglovinFashion and Cookies on Facebook <a href="http://twitter.com/#!/valelavale" rel="nofollow">My Twitter
Healthy Branscoms says
Love your blog! 🙂 I became a new follower! 🙂 Erin
love your lost of goals! good luck with them all. xo Classic & Bubbly
Buck Inspire says
Nice goals! I've been wanting abs for awhile, too. Haha. What are retirement survivor's benefits? Way to see the world when you are young. Too many people wait till the end. Where are you off to? Happy New Year!
we have so many of the same goals as far as reassessing budgets and savings for vacays! crossing our fingers we're both successful! happy 2012 lady!XO, A
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've linked you up 🙂 Your goals are great! I haven't really thought about my goals for the year … I'll probably work on it this week. Happy New Year!
What great goals!!!
Michelle P says
Thanks everyone! I hope everyone elses' goals go great.@BuckInspire, My dad passed away a couple of years ago, and one of the things that I inherited from him was his retirement benefits for heavily discounted airfare (it cost me around $20 to go pretty much anywhere in the U.S. in first class, or $10 in coach), since he worked at an airline.
Great goals! We just took down our tree! Yay.&& with all that discount airfare business go ahead and make another reservation for me :)jk. Of course.
wow. this is really inspiring. hubs and i are super duper tight on money. we are constantly budgeting and trying to cut corners. rock on!xoxo
Life In The Thrifty says
Loved all your goals! Wishing you all the best!
girllll i am sooo glad to be following your blog now! with wedding planning and saving up to HOPEFULLY move back across the country in the next year your blog is sureee to be VERY helpful!!! my fiance and I are also in the financial industry! 🙂
We seriously need to reasses our budget this month. It's gonna be tight paying for this wedding by ourselves!
Sounds like some great goals :)Good luck, and here is to a great 2012!!!
I hate taking down the tree as well 🙁 Ours is still up as it is a 2 foot tall fake tree and you dont even notice it. I also need to sell stuff on Ebay, but don't know how to proce shipping and all that. But I'm also just lazy and havent really looked into it.
These are some pretty awesome goals to accomplish in one month.