Back in August, we were trying to find ways to add around an extra $1,000 to our monthly income, so that we can pay down debt faster. Here are the steps that we were talking about doing.
1. “Do more secret shops. I have made around $250 so far. My plan is to make around $150-$200 a month.”
- I have cut this down quite a bit, as I don't have time anymore to go to places when they are open.
2. “Continuing with my online surveys. Probably only around $30 a month. But this along with Swagbucks will probably be around $50 a month altogether.”
- This is still going at pretty much the same pace.
3. “We have a friend moving in with us. This person is going to pay $300 for rent and utilities altogether. Our house isn't huge but we have a finished basement, so altogether our house is around 3,000 square feet. So, with a roommate we still won't be cramped.”
- This friend still doesn't know when she wants to move in, I wish she would have a date so that we can have everything ready for her, so it's a little aggravating. At first it was August, then it was the end of August, then it was the beginning of September, then the end of September, and now it's just in the air.
- It wouldn't be as aggravating if we didn't tell another friend that they could not live with us because the other friend would be moving in soon. So now I think this other person just thinks I'm lying.
4. “Also, hopefully I can convince the BF to get a second part-time job. His hours at his current job have been cut (but he's still making the same amount of money, I have no clue how that worked out), so he has time now. Now I just need him to be motivated to look.”
- He got more hours and he makes around $400 extra a month, so not exactly $500 like I wanted, but it's still an improvement. And with Christmas coming around, his work hours will increase by a lot, and he'll be making a couple of extra thousand dollars in November and December.
5. “And then I plan on maybe getting a side job also. As many of you know, I have been asking you what you do and pretty much just bugging everyone. I'm not sure how I will have time for a side job, as I work 50 hours a week and I attend MBA classes full-time as well (12 credits this semester).”
- I haven't looked for a job AT ALL. Me and my friend are thinking about trying to become bartenders, but we haven't really thought too seriously about it.
So, right now we're only at about $550 in extra monthly income, which is a little disappointing. BUT, it is better than not making any extra side money, so I'll of course take it. I just can't wait until next summer. I don't know if anyone is like me, but I constantly calculate how much money I'll have in the future, and I get yippy about it. After I get my licensing/certifications for my job, I'll probably be making around $10,000 more a year, and then after I get my MBA next year, I'll be getting another raise. My work told me that both bumps would be pretty big, and this is all on top of the usual inflationary raise that I get in the summer also. So, I'm hoping by the end of next summer, I'll be getting around a $25,000 raise or more. Here's to hoping!
What have you been doing to make extra income?
Subscribe to get the free Master Your Money course!
Join the free email course and finally learn how to manage your money better, pay off debt, save more money, and reach financial freedom. Get our newsletter and get access to the freebie: