Groceries of course can be expensive. I’m trying to keep my budget for groceries around $200 to $250 a month. I still go out for meals every now and then, and the BF has a serious problem with getting fast food everyday. He’s trying to bulk up, so it’s hard to say no if he’s not feeling comfortable with his body.
Here are some ways to save on groceries:
- Learn how to cook from scratch. I’ve been trying to do this more, but I’m very inexperienced with cooking, so everything I cook doesn’t always taste the greatest, however, I’m working on this! We’ve been trying to do this, but it’s hard at times!
- Use coupons on things that you know you will use. Don’t go crazy though! We really only use coupons on household items, but this has been going good. I haven’t paid more than around around a dollar for shampoo, soap, toothpaste and so on in forever!
- Make a grocery list. I usually don’t make a list when I go, and this is probably an area where I could possibly save a lot of money if I made a list.
- STICK to this list! See above…
- Plan your meals for the week. We’re trying our hand at meal planning. But that’s not going too well. I usually crave something else than what I usually have planned for the night, so that throws everything off.
- Grow a garden. I have a lot of friends who have their own gardens and I’m always so jealous.
- Don’t let food go to waste. We are kind of wasteful in our house. There’s only 2 of us, so sometimes it’s hard for us to eat everything. If we bought less, we’d save money and less would go to waste.
Liquid Independence says
I use to have a garden. Tried growing peas and tomatoes. The peas were yummy, but the tomatoes didn't work out. I have a Costco membership, so one way I try to save on food is buying in bulk.
Canadian Saver says
Great tips!I find that if I make a menu with 5 main meals on it that can be eaten on any night, I do better than one saying I will eat this on Monday, this on Tuesday, this for Wednesday, etc. I have flexibility, yet I still have a plan……..
Mommy Saves ALOT!!! says
I would love to have a garden but i have no clue to to even begin to start one. I'm thinking of reading up on it and start one next year.
Counting all my star says
Food is our biggest budget killers. I'm trying my very best to try and cut in this area. Thank you for all the tips.
I know your BF is trying to gain weight, but fast food really isn't the way to do it. My boyfriend is also quite slim, and he struggles to put on weight too. Unfortunately the fast food will eventually put some weight on him, but it won't be the weight he wants. It will most likely be visceral fat around his internal organs, which can be quite dangerous. Is it possible to convince him to just take larger portions of leftovers from home?
Michelle P says
I'm sorry I should re-word what I put in my post. I meant to say that he eats a lot, not just fast food. He doesn't purely eat Lion's Choice to gain weight. It's confusing, he's confusing. He does need to cut down on being a lazy eater though.I hope that made sense, what I just typed kind of confused me also