Learnvest had an article about being too busy, and of course it was calling out to me. I work full-time (50 hours a week), I spend around 10 hours a week commuting, I’m getting my MBA (12 credits this semester), and I have a house and pups to take care of. Even though I always feel busy, I still spend a lot of my time doing nothing. I’ll get on Facebook, watch TV, go shopping, and so on.
Signs that you’re too busy:
- Do you spend a lot of time worrying about your time? I constantly worry about what I’m doing. I’m always checking my phone to look at my calendar, and it’s a never ending list of things to do. And then I just worry and think about it all forever.
- What you need to do: Take a mental break from your list. Do something that you find relaxing. What I like to do is watch TV, such as How I Met Your Mother.
- Do you remember when you were last spontaneous? I would say that I’m “spontaneous.” According to the article, it’s just catching a last second bite to eat.
- What you need to do: Try being spontaneous and doing things at the last second! Just because it’s not in your planned schedule, doesn’t mean that you can’t do it.
- Do you eat most of your meals on the go? I used to do this, but then it started to get too expensive when I would get fast food 3 times a day.
- What you need to do: Go home and enjoy homemade food!
- When was the last time you talked to your best friend? I talk to my friends everyday, and I hang out with them nearly everyday also.
- What you need to do: Call up your friends! All work and no play is not good for you. Just try having at least a quick phone call to catch up.
- Do you sleep enough? I definitely do not. I get maybe around 4.5 hours of sleep a night, and I get REALLY excited when I can get 6 hours of sleep.
- What you need to do: You should be getting at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep. Not sleeping is not going to help you the next day. You’ll be drained, fall asleep at work and so on.
- Do you wish for people to cancel on you? I’m guilty of this. I don’t like cancelling, but I will sit there and wish for people to cancel on me because I’m so busy.
- What you need to do: Try not to make so many appointments, because obviously you don’t have time.
Are you too busy? What are you guilty of?
I'm so doing this!
I am the same way about always spending time worrying about my time. I think I have a plan (and you should do the same): mental break time – around 7 PM tonight… while watching the Cardinals win the World Series! WOOT!
Michelle P says
I'm excited for the game tonight! I'm going downtown tonight, but I'm not prepared for the traffic (or the craziness that will happen if we lose).
Married...with a Pup says
I sooo feel the same way as you do! I feel like the night goes by soooo fast but yet, I look back on the night and realize I didn't get anything accomplished!
Live Simply- Live We says
I always multitask. If I am watching t.v. then I am doing the laundry, sweeping, blogging, cleaning, etc. I never can just sit around and do nothing.
Two Degrees says
I feel your pain. Currently I am working 50+ hours a week as well and commute at least 10 hours a week. In regards to appointments, I've learned to be pretty blunt – if I don't have someone, I don't book a time with them. I did a major friend purge and deleted Facebook back in February 2011, so I now focus on those who are most important around me. I used to overbook myself but it become overly painful to cancel last minute. So now, if someone wants to hang out but I don't have the time, I straight up and explain my schedule, "I'm busy this day, this day, that day. Sorry, I just don't have the time right now."
Liquid Independence says
I have 2 jobs, but I don't consider myself busy or stressed out by them. My problem is I don't use my time very effectively at home for some reason. Only 4.5 hrs a night? You must be super woman or something. I'd turn into a walking zombie if I did that regularly."In truth, people can generally make time for what they choose to do; it is not really the time but the will that is lacking."Sir John Lubbock
I think considering everything I have to do, I SHOULD be busy, but I find I spend so much time doing nothing. Like right now 😛 We're having a Halloween party tonight and our house is a MESS. So I have to clean it, do dishes, finish decorating, I have a bunch of homework I should be doing, Saturdays are my only day off from work, and yet I'm on the computer. And I can bet Spider Solitaire will steal me for another 30 minutes or so. So unfortunately I think I need to learn how to keep up with my busyness and not get so distracted.
saving for travel says
I try to be efficient with my time in the evenings when I'm at work.You can only give so much to your job.Sft x