LearnVest recently had an article about how to get a passport. I’ve been traveling a lot lately, but not out of the country because I don’t have a passport. The BF doesn’t have one either, and we are always talking about getting one, but the costs of obtaining one have been pushing us to push the date of when we get to get them back further and further.
Here are the steps if you’re thinking about getting one:
2. Submit Completed Form DS-11 In Person
3. Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
4. Present Identification
5. Submit a Photocopy of the Identification Document(s) Presented (Step 4)
6. Pay the Applicable Fee
7. Provide One Passport Photo
- Processing times can be found at the link above, but generally it is within 4-6 weeks and 2-3 weeks for expedited service
- For expedited service, I know someone who got it within 1 week, so sometimes it CAN be sooner, but not always
Do you have a passport? Do you have any tips for speeding up the process for a person who needs one at the last second?
Live Simply- Live We says
Sorry no tips. Mine is expired and sadly I dont need it for the time being
Canadian Saver says
Ours in Canada are good for 5 years… mine just expires in 2013 and then I'll be able to use the renewal, simplified form. (our fee is $87 for 5 years, yours is a much better deal!… it's for 10 years, right??)I don't think I'd pay for the expedited service unless you booked something at the very last minute. I'd probably apply as soon as you start booking time off and checking rates and such, usually won't be too late minute. And then when you have it, you won't have to worry about renewing for many years!
I have one but it expires in December. I know I should get it renewed ASAP, but haven't gotten around to it.
I have 3 years left before mine expires, and I have a secret challenge for myself to see how many more stamps I can get into it before it has to be replaced. Now if only this challenge would work better with my financial goals/challenges…haha!