Here are some tips for your resume:
- If you can, I would definitely have someone else review your resume. You might have read it 30 times, but another set of eyes never hurts.
- I heard that using a Gmail or school e-mail on your resume looks better than using an AOL or Hotmail account. I don’t know if this is true (I used a hotmail, but I just recently switched to Gmail). In the article I read (I believe it was Daily Worth), it said that using an AOL or Hotmail account might come across as that you are not very tech savvy and/or might be older and stuck in a rut. I do not believe than an e-mail account could affect you this much, but like I said, I do not know.
- The rule that your resume needs to be one page does not always apply. My friend is in the anthropology field, and the longer her resume is, the better. Her resume is around 5 or 6 pages now.
- You should try to include references in your resume. Every place I applied at was very happy that I included my references along with each references’ contact information in my resume because it made it much easier for them.
- If you potential employer asks for your GPA or academic standing, do NOT LIE! Employers can request your grades and do background checks, so I would not lie about anything.
- Create a cover letter to go along with your resume
- State a purpose or objective which specifically applies to the job you are applying to
- Don’t use any pictures (unless of course you need a head shot for the job you are applying to)
If you have any other tips that you would like to add, please share.