Here on Making Sense of Cents, I discuss extra income, side hustles, side income, and how to make money online a decent amount. I believe that earning extra income can completely change your life in a positive way. A person can stop living paycheck to paycheck, they can pay off their debt, and more all by earning extra money.
From my Extra Income series please read:
- 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money
- How To Start A WordPress Blog On Bluehost
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online From The Comfort of Your Home
- 10 Things I’ve Done To Make Extra Money
- 40+ Side Hustle Ideas and Tips From The Experts
- Make Money Proofreading By Becoming A Freelance Proofreader
- Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 A Month
- 6 Free Online Survey Sites To Join For Extra Money
- Do You Want To Be Self Employed?
- Ways to Earn Extra Income Part 1
- So You Want to Be a Freelance Writer?
- What Does a Virtual Assistant Do?
- How To Become a Virtual Assistant
- How To Make Money Blogging
- How To Prepare for Self-Employment
- Pursuing What I Love or What Brings in the (Stable) Money
- Blogger or WordPress – Tips on How to Move
- Tips For Beginner Bloggers Part 1 – The Basics
- more to come… 🙂
To read my posts about extra income and how to make money online, click here. Below are my monthly extra income reports:
- $672 extra in May 2012
- $994 extra in June
- $1,425 extra in July
- $1,603 extra in August
- $3,275 extra in September
- $3,700 extra in October
- $5,114 extra in November
- $5,770 in Extra Income in December
- $6,523 in January 2013 Extra Income
- $5,983 in February Extra Income
- $7,862 in March Extra Income
- $7,859 in April Extra Income
- $7,641 in May Extra Income
- $10,192 in June Extra Income
- $11,117 in July Extra Income
- $9,554 in August Extra Income
- $12,334 in September Side Income
- $11,927 in October Business Income – I Finally Left My Job
- $13,387 in November Business Income
- $12,160 in December Business Income
- $12,640 in January 2014 Business Income
- $13,454 in February Business Income
- $12,100 in March Business Income
- $13,493 in April Business Income
- $12,747 in May Business Income
- $12,787 in June – Site Redesign and More Motivation
- $14,937 in July – My Highest Income Month
- $15,272 in September Online Income – Outsourcing and Passive Income
- $14,136 in October Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $14,534 November Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $13,673 December Income – My Monthly Online Income Report and 2014 Wrap Up
- $15,396 in January Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $23,758 in February Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $15,151 in March – My Monthly Online Income Report Plus Traffic Stats
- $32,474 in April – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $20,635 in May – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $23,471 in June – My Monthly Online Income Report
- How I Made $25,138 Online In July Plus My 4 Year Blogiversary
- Monthly Online Income Report – $23,992 In August
- September Online Income Report – $31,030
- October Online Income Report – $33,482
- November Online Income Report – $30,569
- How I Made Over $320,000 Blogging In 2015, Plus My December Income Report
- January 2016 Online Income Report – $44,782
- February 2016 Blog Income Report – $49,607
- My March 2016 Blog Income Report – $72,196
Below are many different ways to make extra money, but check out the related sections further down to see many, many more:
- Start a blog. Blogging is how I make a living and just a few years ago I never thought it would be possible. I made over $320,000 in 2015 by blogging and I’m on track to double that in 2016. You can create your own blog here with my easy-to-use tutorial. You can start your blog for as low as $3.49 per month plus you get a free domain if you sign-up through my tutorial.
- Sell your stuff. There are many things you can do to make money by selling items. We all have extra things laying around that can be sold, or you can even search for items that can be bought and resold for a profit.
- Answer surveys. Survey companies I recommend include VIP Voice, Earning Station, American Consumer Opinion, Survey Downline, Survey Junkie, Clear Voice Surveys, Product Report Card, Survey Club, YouGov, ProOpinion, Pinecone Research, Opinion Outpost, Survey Spot, National Consumer Panel, SaySo4Profit, PanelBucks, PaidSurveys, Prize Rebel, and Harris Poll Online. They’re free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and to test products. It’s best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
- Invest. There are no guarantees when it comes to investing, but you should always start sooner rather than later. If you are looking for a good investing platform, I recommend Motif. Motif Investing allows individuals to invest affordably. This approachable investing platform makes it easy to buy a portfolio of up to 30 stocks, bonds or ETFs for just $9.95 total commission. Plus, you will receive up to $150 for FREE when you use Motif Investing when you sign up under my link.
- Become an Uber or Lyft driver – Spending your spare time by driving others around can be a great money maker. Read more about this in my post – How To Become An Uber Or Lyft Driver. Click here to join Uber and start making money ASAP.
- Use Swagbucks for your online searches. Swagbucks is something I don’t use as much, but I do occasionally earn Amazon gift cards with very little work. Swagbucks is just like using Google to do your online searches, except you get rewarded “Swagbucks” for the things you do through their website. Then, when you have enough Swagbucks, you can redeem them for cash, gift cards, and more. You’ll receive a free $5 bonus just for signing up today!
- Try Digital Voice. Another one you may be interested in related to Swagbucks is Nielsen Digital Voice. Digital Voice is a part of Nielsen, which I’m sure you’ve heard of. All you have to do is surf the web and you may be able to start earning money.
- Try InboxDollars. InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up!
- Test websites. One company I recommend for virtual assistant work is UserTesting. This website pays you to test websites and they pay fairly well.
- Find a part-time job. There are many part-time jobs that you may be able to find. You can find a job on sites such as Snagajob, Craigslist (yes, I’ve found a legitimate job through there before), Monster, and so on.
Starting a blog for extra income online.
It is possible to make extra income online from a blog, but it does take time.
Related articles about making money blogging:
- Ways To Make Pennies, Hundreds or Thousands A Month By Blogging
- How To Start A WordPress Blog On Bluehost
- Blogger or WordPress – Tips on How to Move
The first step is to get your domain. For the loooongest time ever, my blog was known as senseofcents.blogspot.com. I finally bought www.makingsenseofcents.com and haven’t looked back since. I don’t think anyone has ever said “I regret buying my domain and looking more professional.” If you sign up using my Bluehost link, then you will receive your domain for free.
The second step is to get your web hosting. There are a lot of hosting companies out there, and Bluehost seems to be one of the best. Hosting starts at around $3.49 a month. It’ll most likely cost you around $60 a year, which is really good deal! If you pay for more than one year at a time, you also get a free domain through Bluehost if you buy through my link.
You can read more detailed instructions in my post How To Start A WordPress Blog On Bluehost.
And once you have your domain and hosting, also make sure to start an e-mail list. AWeber is great and very easy to use. Not having an e-mail list for so long is something that I definitely regret, but I am glad that I’m finally starting with this.
Becoming a virtual assistant for extra income online.
You can make extra income by becoming a virtual assistant. This is something that I started doing after I created my blog. It doesn’t comprise a LARGE percentage of my extra income, but it is there. I like to be diversified just in case anything does happen to one of my other extra income streams (yes I realize that I am not fully diversified because a lot of my extra income is earned online – just in different ways).
There are many things that you can do as a virtual assistant. You can manage the social media of a business, website, etc. (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and everything else), handle the newsletter, work on the website, proofread and edit, do market research, handle emails, and so on. The list is really endless. Are you interested in becoming a virtual assistant? Don’t forget to also read about what exactly a virtual assistant does.
Freelance writing for side income online.
A lot of you seem very interested in making extra income by freelance writing. For the sake of this section, a staff writer = freelance writer, just to make this all easy. I made a post titled So You Want to Be a Freelance Writer?, so please check it out. Below is a snippet of it.
Just a few years ago, I never thought I would be staff writing, and I never even thought about it. But once I began, I really started to enjoy it. I really love to write (yes, I do realize that I’m not the best and I probably should proofread more, but I do like to talk), and writing for different blogs was fun for me. How are people supposed to know that you are looking for a freelance writing position?
Over one summer, I was asked to be a staff writer for a blog. The e-mail came out of nowhere, but after I received it, I started looking into staff writing further. Having a blog (as talked about before), helped people find me and consider me for their staff writing positions. After that initial e-mail, I then posted on Yakezie (a personal finance community with a great forum) and stated that I was searching for a staff writing position. After I made the post on the forum, I received a couple of e-mails and this is what launched my staff writing career. The power of throwing yourself out there and just asking was definitely helpful for me.
Also, there are the ProBlogger job boards, and there are a lot of staff writing positions on there. I know of a couple of people who have found their positions through that website.
If you do have a blog, then make sure you have a “Hire Me” tab if you are available. This will then let others know that you are looking, and also what you are available for. Many blog owners might also be looking around, or they might make blog posts directly stating that they need staff writers. Keep an eye out for this. It doesn’t hurt to just e-mail the websites directly. If you truly want to write for them, try sending them a quick e-mail, and attach some writing samples, and/or link to your blog as well.
IZEA – An easy way to make money through your social media accounts.
IZEA is a company I used a lot when I first started blogging. If you already have a blog or social media accounts such as Twitter and Instagram, then signing up for Izea is a great way to make some extra money. You can sign up for it even if you don’t have a blog. You can just connect your social media accounts and start making money right away.
All you have to do is sign up and wait for opportunities to come your way. It’s easy, but if you have any questions just shoot me an email and I can try my best to help you out.
With Izea, you are getting paid for whenever a company wants to advertise themselves through your blog and/or social media accounts (such as your Twitter account). You get paid electronically, and they always pay. They partner with big name companies such as Marriott, Netflix, Walmart, Kraft, Lego, and more. It’s an EASY way to make money through your social media accounts, so I highly recommend you check Izea out.
Click here to sign up for Izea. It is free to join and free to use. To get started, sign up, connect a few social media accounts, and validate your email so that you can start earning extra cash.
Renting out an extra room for extra income.
We have four bedrooms in our house and we only use one. So when my sister needed a place to live, we of course invited her to live with us. It’s been working out greatly. She’s been living with us since May of 2012 and pays around $325 per month. She is hardly home so we haven’t really noticed an increase in any of our bills also.
Now, I don’t think we’ll be adding any more roommates. My sister is great (and we all get along very well), but we have definitely had our share of roommate disasters.
Mystery shopping for side income.
There are many ways to make money online. Whether you are interested in online trading, blogging, or something else, you will find something! The next one we will talk about now is mystery shopping.
- I’ve talked about BestMark in a lot of my posts so far. It’s easy money and I do secret shops for restaurants, Best Buy, and so on.
- Click here to read my post about mystery shopping.
- If you do join, please say I referred you! My ID is MO4999
Swagbucks for a side hustle.
- Swagbucks is a search engine (like Google or Yahoo) that offers you the chance to earn “swagbucks” for different things. I mainly just do my normal internet searches through Swagbucks. Then when you accumulate enough, you can go to the prize store and get anything from toys, electronics, and gift cards. Most people buy Amazon gift cards.
- So far I have made over $200 in Amazon gift cards. It’s super easy to use, so sign up NOW!
Ebates for side income.
- With Ebates you just shop like you normally would online. Go to ebates first and then search for the store you are wanting. They have many stores and most likely the store you are wanting to buy your item(s) from will be listed.
- Then you just click to your online retailer of choice through ebates, and then ebates will give you your percent back! Sometimes you can get 10% to 15% back on your purchase. It’s easy money!
- This is a free service, click here to sign up.
- This is a quote from their website: “People often ask: “This sounds too good to be true, how are you able to do it?” It really is quite simple. Just like almost every other online shopping center, we get a commission from the stores when you make a purchase. Instead of keeping that money – like almost all other sites do – we share it with you!”