If you are new here, welcome to my post about how to make money by selling items around your home! I suggest you read my monthly income blogging reports as well, where I show you how I earn over $70,000 a month online.
The average person has a lot of extra stuff in their life. Too many clothes, old electronics that have been tossed to the side, useless furniture, books you’re never going to read again, and more.
Why not get rid of some of this extra stuff?
Whether you’re looking to make extra cash or if your primary objective is to declutter your home, there are many items around your home that you may be able to sell.
This extra money can be used to pay off debt, save more money, go on a vacation, and more.
However, many people end up just throwing things like these away.
I’ve heard all the excuses for why a person doesn’t want to try selling their stuff:
- “But, no one will pay for my junk.”
- “That item isn’t worth it.”
- “It’s so much easier just to throw it away.”
- “What if I look stupid if a thrift store says no to everything I am trying to sell to them?”
Stop with the excuses!
If you are throwing things away that you could be selling, you are throwing money away.
This means next time you are about to throw something away or leave it at the curb in hopes someone will take it, you may want to try your luck at selling the item first.
There are many places you may be able to sell your things. These include:
- eBay – eBay can be a great way to reach a larger market.
- Craigslist – This free site can be an easy way to sell your stuff, but be safe and don’t fall for any Craigslist scams.
- Garage/yard sale – This can be an easy way to sell many things at once all from your home, but usually the pay is lower.
- Thrift stores – Thrift stores may pay on consignment, cash on the spot, or store credit.
- Facebook – There are specific groups on Facebook dedicated to selling items to someone in the same city as you.
Below are eight things to sell to make money.
Side note: Don’t forget to donate items as well! Sadly, many people throw away perfectly good things. Even if you don’t want the cash, donate items that you think can be put to use by someone else.
I have gotten rid of so many clothes now that we live full-time in our RV, and I’m pretty sure I could get rid of even more.
Everyone has extra clothing they don’t wear, so this can be an easy thing to find and sell. I recommend checking out a thrift store near you, such as Plato’s Closet or Buffalo Exchange, to see if you can sell them any of your clothing. There are also designer thrift stores paying cash for high-end clothes.
Items you could sell include shirts, pants, business casual clothing, shoes, jewelry, costumes, dresses, jackets, wedding dress, belts, formal dresses, and more.
Electronics and appliances
There are many electronics around your home that you may be able to sell.
Even if you think the item is too old, you may still have a shot. For example, the electric company in my old town pays $35 for an old fridge, even if it doesn’t work. And, they even come to pick it up from your home!
Other items you may be able to sell include cell phones, laptops, computers, cameras, TVs, and so on.
Side note: Before you sell a cell phone or laptop, make sure you completely clear any information from it.
Sometimes there is furniture you no longer have a use for. Maybe you just redecorated, or maybe you just have extra furniture taking up too much space. You might be able to sell this extra furniture for cash.
In fact, I have some friends who repainted their old furniture so they could sell it. Before, their furniture may not have made them any cash, but refurbishing certain pieces may allow you to make some extra money.
Okay, so this is probably the most surprising one on the list. Did you know that you can sell your old toilet paper and paper towel rolls for money?
Yes, you can!
Click here if you don’t believe me.
This certainly won’t make you rich, but it can make you a little bit of money for something that you are already using and probably just tossing away.
- 75+ Ways to Make Extra Money
- 10 Ways to Make Money Online from the Comfort of Your Home
- Ways to Make an Extra $1,000 a Month
Books are a great thing to sell for extra money. Depending on exactly what you are selling, you may be able to earn a couple hundred dollars from a stack of books.
Whether you have a textbook, novel, encyclopedia, or any other type of book, you may be able to sell it and earn extra money.
I recommend checking to see if you can sell your book on eBay, Cash4Books.net, Half.com, a college bookstore, a local thrift store, and more.
Movies are another great item to sell for extra money. You may be able to earn a few dollars for each movie sold, and possibly $10+ if you have a TV series.
You can sell them to a movie or CD store near you (yes, these still exist), online, at a garage sale, and more.
We recently sold a stack of movies that we never watch and made around $50 in store credit. Because we knew we were going to buy a present for someone from that same store, it was a perfect switch for us.
Many people have gift cards in their wallet that they will never use. Rather than letting that gift card go to waste, you can sell it online.
Yes, you can sell your gift card even if you used a part of it. It doesn’t matter if there’s the full amount on it or if it’s a weird number like $13.57.
There are several websites dedicated to selling gift cards. These include GiftCardGranny and CardPool. Both of these websites say that they give up to 92% of the gift card’s value.
Just like used clothing stores that buy your clothes, there are used sporting goods stores willing to buy your stuff.
One used sporting goods chain I recommend is Play It Again Sports.
On their website they state, “Typically we will resell our used items for about 40-60% of what they would sell for new today. You would receive 30-50% of that amount depending on demand, condition and current inventory levels of like products.”
Play It Again Sports probably isn’t the only used sporting goods store in your city, so check around online, and call to see what the different buying processes are like.
Some of the items a used sporting goods store may buy include:
- Ski boots
You can also sell your used sporting goods on websites such as eBay and Craigslist, at a garage sale, and more. Used sporting goods stores may be the easiest way to sell your items, though.
What have you sold around your home to make extra money?
If you are new to my blog, I am all about finding ways to make and save more money. Here are some of my favorite sites and products that may help you out:
- Answer surveys. Survey companies I recommend include American Consumer Opinion, VIP Voice, Survey Junkie, Clear Voice Surveys, Product Report Card, Survey Club, ProOpinion, YouGov, Pinecone Research, Opinion Outpost, Survey Spot, and Harris Poll Online. They’re free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and to test products. It’s best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
- Start a blog. Blogging is how I make a living and just a few years ago I never thought it would be possible. I earn over $70,000 a month online through my blog and you can read more about this in my monthly online income reports. You can create your own blog here with my easy-to-use tutorial. You can start your blog for as low as $3.49 per month plus you get a free domain if you sign-up through my tutorial.
- Cut your TV bill. Cut your cable, satellite, etc. Even go as far to go without Netflix or Hulu as well. Buy a digital antenna (this is the one we have) and enjoy free TV for life.
- If you are still in college, I recommend you check out Campus Book Rentals. This website allows you to get your textbooks for cheap. I almost ALWAYS rented my textbooks and it saved me a ton of money!
- Lower your cell phone bill. Instead of paying the $150 or more that you spend on your cell phone bill, there are companies out there like Republic Wireless that offer cell phone service starting at $10. YES, I SAID $10! If you use my Republic Wireless affiliate link, you can change your life and start saving thousands of dollars a year on your cell phone service. I created a full review on Republic Wireless as well if you are interested in hearing more. I’ve been using them for over a year and they are great.
- Sign up for a website like Ebates where you can earn CASH BACK for just spending like how you normally would online. The service is free too! Plus, when you sign up through my link, you also receive a free $10 gift card bonus to Macys, Walmart, Target, or Kohls!
- Save money on food. I recently joined $5 Meal Plan in order to help me eat at home more and cut my food spending. It’s only $5 a month (the first two weeks are free too) and you get meal plans sent straight to you along with the exact shopping list you need in order to create the meals. Each meal costs around $2 per person or less. This allows you to save time because you won’t have to meal plan anymore, and it will save you money as well!
- Look for coupon codes. I search for coupon codes for everything. Today, I have two for you. I have a $20 Airbnb coupon code and a free taxi ride with Uber. Both are great services that I have personally used.
- I highly recommend Credible for student loan refinancing. You can lower the interest rate on your student loans significantly by using Credible which may help you shave thousands off your student loan bill over time.
- Invest. There are no guarantees when it comes to investing, but you should always start sooner rather than later. If you are looking for a good investing platform, I recommend Motif. Motif Investing allows individuals to invest affordably. This approachable investing platform makes it easy to buy a portfolio of up to 30 stocks, bonds or ETFs for just $9.95 total commission. Plus, you will receive up to $150 for FREE when you use Motif Investing when you sign up under my link.
- Use Swagbucks for your online searches. Swagbucks allows me to occasionally earn Amazon gift cards with very little work. Swagbucks is just like using Google to do your online searches, except you get rewarded “points called SB” for the things you do through their website. Then, when you have enough Swagbucks, you can redeem them for cash, gift cards, and more. You’ll receive a free $5 bonus just for signing up today!
- Try Digital Voice. Another one you may be interested in related to Swagbucks is Nielsen Digital Voice. Digital Voice is a part of Nielsen, which I’m sure you’ve heard of. All you have to do is surf the web and you may be able to start earning money.
- Try InboxDollars. InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up!
- Find a part-time job. There are many part-time jobs that you may be able to find. You can find a job on sites such as Snagajob, Craigslist (yes, I’ve found a legitimate job through there before), Monster, and so on.