Updated March 26, 2016.
If you are new here, welcome to my post about how to make an extra $1,000 a month and the different ways to side hustle! I suggest you read my monthly income blogging reports as well, where I show you how I earn over $50,000 a month online.
One question I receive a few times each month from new readers is what they can do to make extra money each month. They’re not sure where to start when it comes to earning extra income, or even if it’s possible.
I understand this.
Before I started side hustling, I didn’t know much about different ways to make extra money. Then, I started blogging and came across so many side hustlers I couldn’t believe it.
They opened my eyes and showed me that side hustling and making extra money above and beyond my day job was possible.
Back in November of 2013, I published the post My Motivation For Side Income. As a refresher, I started working on my side income for many reasons.
The reasons for why I wanted to make extra money included:
- We wanted to pay off my student loans quickly. I knew I didn’t want to be paying my student loans 20 years down the line.
- The fact that we weren’t saving as much as we would have liked. We were saving a little, but not enough where it actually mattered.
- We knew we wanted to travel. With the income we had at the time, traveling just didn’t seem possible.
- We wanted to pursue our passions and not feel stuck in a job that we didn’t love.
These side hustles completely changed our lives for the better, and we still can’t believe how different our lives are from just a few years ago.
We feel incredibly lucky, but I do attribute how far we’ve come to all of the hard work that was put into side hustles.
There are many different ways for you to make extra money each month, and even ways to make an extra $1,000 a month are possible. You may not be able to make $1,000 from just one side job (you may need 2 or 3), but depending on the amount of time and effort that you put into it, it may be possible.
If you say “Oh, $1,000 is NOT possible,” then I want you to think again. There are plenty of other side hustlers out there sharing their journey about how they are making extra money, you just have to look. They are proof that it is possible. Just check out Monthly Income Report Roundup – My Favorite Income Bloggers for proof.
Below are my tips on how to make an extra $1,000 a month:
Write online to make extra money.
Of course, this one is going to be the first on my list of different ways to make an extra $1,000 a month due to the fact that I am a blogger and I write online. I’m currently earning around $50,000 a month and you can read more about how in my monthly online income reports.
I started writing online because I knew I didn’t have time to physically go into a place and work since I was already working 50-55 hours a week and working towards my Finance MBA full-time as well. I also knew that working a part-time job would probably be too draining, and I would probably have hated my life since I was already busy around 75 to 85 hours a week between my job and school.
This is why I started looking into monetizing my blog and looking for staff writing positions. I want to be clear and say that I didn’t start this website to make extra money. Making an extra $1,000 a month never even crossed my mind when I first started blogging.
I came across blogging and became obsessed with it though back in 2011. Then, I started reading about how others were making money online by writing, and I decided to give freelance writing a shot. Everything started from there!
There are a few different ways that you can make money by writing online. Writing online can be a good side income that you can make from the comfort of your home. You can staff write for another website, write articles for advertisements, start a blog of your own, and more. Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend starting a blog of your own as you may be able to make money through your blog and website owners can find/hire you through your blog (your blog can be used as your resume/portfolio for staff writing positions). I make most of my money now by owning my own blog, which is amazing. I made over $320,000 in 2015 by blogging and will make more than that in 2016.
The amount of money that you can make from writing online varies greatly but I love it and I think it is well worth it.
Side note: If you are interested in starting a blog of your own, I created a tutorial that will help you start a blog of your own for cheap, starting at only $3.49 per month (this low price is only through my link and for a limited time) for blog hosting. In addition to the low pricing, you will receive a free blog domain (a $15 value) through my Bluehost link if you purchase at least 12 months of blog hosting. FYI, you want to be self-hosted. This is essential if you want to monetize your blog as you will appear more professional and this will help you monetize your blog tremendously.
If you are further interested in freelance writing or blogging, I have several articles about it:
- How I Made Over $300,000 In 2015 By Blogging
- How To Make Money Blogging
- So You Want to Be a Freelance Writer?
- Staff Writing is the Perfect Side Hustle
- How To Become A Successful Staff Writer for Blogs
Babysit or nanny to earn extra income.
When I was in high school and before I could drive, I watched a child who lived in my neighborhood. I worked around 40 hours per week in the summer, and a little bit less when school was in session.
I found a flyer on my neighborhood bulletin board, called them, had an interview, and was hired. The pay was $10 an hour, which definitely was not bad for a 14-year-old, and for me to walk just a few homes down the road.
The kid was also amazing and was not once ever a terror, even though I started watching him when he was around 8 months (his name was Wesley, funny enough!).
Does anyone know what the average pay for babysitters is now these days? That $10 an hour I received was around 10 years ago…
Mow lawns for a side hustle.
Mowing lawns can actually be a quite profitable business. I know of a few people who constantly have mowing jobs. They make somewhere around $30 to $50 per lawn and do around 20 to 30 lawns a week.
If you’re already doing lawns, then there may be other services that you may be able to add as well. You could also clean gutters, do Spring or Fall yard cleanups, garden, and more.
There is one drawback though. Depending on where you live, there may not be grass all year-long, which means that there might be a period of around 6 months where you don’t have any work. Usually during this time though, many lawn companies switch to being snow-related companies – such as shoveling snow or plowing snow.
Become a photographer for extra income.
I don’t think that photography is a job where you can just pick up your camera and start making money. You do need to have talent, and in some cases it definitely doesn’t hurt to go to school for it (or at least take a few classes) if you want to make it a lifelong career.
There are different types of photography that you could get into:
- Stock photography.
- Newborn photography.
- Wedding photography.
- Family portraits.
- And more!
Pay can vary greatly with photography. For example, some photographers charge $500 for a whole wedding, whereas others charge $10,000 and up. Of course, you get what you pay for, though.
- Walk dogs.
- Sell services on Fiverr.
- InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up!
- Teach another language.
- Use Swagbucks for your online searches and earn money. You’ll receive a free $5 bonus just for signing up through my link!
- Another one you may be interested in related to this one is Nielsen Digital Voice. Digital Voice is a part of Nielsen, which I’m sure you’ve heard of. All you have to do is surf the web and you may be able to start earning money.
- Use Ebates when you shop online for free cash back. If you sign up you can also score a free $10 gift card through my link.
- Substitute teach.
- Rent out your house to vacationers.
- Become an Uber or Lyft driver – Spending your spare time by driving others around can be a great money maker. Read more about this in my post – How To Become An Uber Or Lyft Driver. Click here to join Uber and start making money ASAP.
- Sell items online.
- Get into peer lending.
- Part-time retail job.
- Invest your money. I recommend using Motif Investing if you are looking to invest your money. Motif Investing allows individuals to invest affordably. This approachable investing platform makes it easy to buy a portfolio of up to 30 stocks, bonds or ETFs for just $9.95 total commission. Plus, you will receive up to $150 for FREE when you use Motif Investing if you sign up under my link.
- Find a part-time or full-time job on Snagajob (there are tons of jobs listed all over on this website!)
- Become a Stella and Dot Stylist.
- Take part in research studies.
- Take surveys. Survey companies I recommend include VIP Voice, American Consumer Opinion, Survey Junkie, Clear Voice Surveys, Product Report Card, Survey Club, ProOpinion, Opinion Outpost, YouGov, Survey Spot, Pinecone Research, SaySo4Profit, PanelBucks, PaidSurveys, Prize Rebel, and Harris Poll Online. They’re free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and to test products. It’s best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
- Mystery shop.
- Coach/referee at a school and/or a sport.
- You can find even more ways in my post 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money.
If you don’t want to work any more than you already do, then read my post How To Save 50% Or More Of Your Income. This post shows you many great ways to cut your budget.
What do you do for extra money? Why do you do it? Do you think making an extra $1,000 a month is possible?