If you are new here, welcome to my post about how to make an extra $1,000 a month and the different ways to side hustle! I suggest you read my monthly income blogging reports as well, where I show you how I earn over $100,000 a month online. Last updated: April 15, 2017.
One question I receive a few times each month from new readers is what they can do to make extra money each month, such as how to make $1,000 a month. They're not sure where to start when it comes to earning extra income, or even if it's possible to make 1000 a month.
I understand this.
Before I started side hustling, I didn't know much about different ways to make extra money. Then, I started blogging and came across so many side hustlers I couldn't believe it.
They opened my eyes and showed me that side hustling and making extra money above and beyond my day job was possible.
- 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money
- How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA
- 8 Items To Sell Around Your Home For Extra Money
- 30+ Ways To Save Money Each Month
The reasons for why I first wanted to make extra money and learn how to make 1000 a month included:
- We wanted to pay off my student loans quickly. I knew I didn't want to be paying my student loans 20 years down the line. Due to side hustling, I was able to pay off my student loans in just 7 months!
- The fact that we weren't saving as much as we would have liked. We were saving a little, but not enough where it actually mattered.
- We knew we wanted to travel. With the income we had at the time, traveling just didn't seem possible.
- We wanted to pursue our passions and not feel stuck in a job that we didn't love.
These side hustles completely changed our lives for the better, and we still can't believe how different our lives are from just a few years ago.
We feel incredibly lucky, but I do attribute how far we've come to all of the hard work that was put into side hustles.
There are many different ways for you to make extra money each month, and even ways to make an extra $1,000 a month are possible. You may not be able to make $1,000 from just one side job (you may need 2 or 3), but depending on the amount of time and effort that you put into it, it may be possible.
If you say “Oh, $1,000 is NOT possible,” then I want you to think again. There are plenty of other side hustlers out there sharing their journey about how they are making extra money, you just have to look. They are proof that it is possible. Just check out Monthly Income Report Roundup – My Favorite Income Bloggers for proof.
Below are my tips on how to make an extra $1,000 a month:
Start a blog to make extra money.
Of course, this one is going to be the first on my list of different ways to make an extra $1,000 a month due to the fact that I am a blogger and I write online. I'm currently earning around $100,000 a month and travel full-time, and you can read more about how in my monthly online income reports.
I started writing online because I knew I didn't have time to physically go into a place and work since I was already working 50-55 hours a week and working towards my Finance MBA full-time as well. I also knew that working a part-time job would probably be too draining, and I would probably have hated my life since I was already busy around 75 to 85 hours a week between my job and school.
This is why I started looking into monetizing my blog and looking for staff writing positions. I want to be clear and say that I didn't start this website to make extra money. Making an extra $1,000 a month never even crossed my mind when I first started blogging.
I came across blogging and became obsessed with it though back in 2011. Then, I started reading about how others were making money online by writing, and I decided to give freelance writing a shot. Everything started from there!
There are a few different ways that you can make money by writing online. Writing online can be a good side income that you can make from the comfort of your home. You can staff write for another website, write articles for advertisements, start a blog of your own, and more. Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend starting a blog of your own as you may be able to make money through your blog and website owners can find/hire you through your blog (your blog can be used as your resume/portfolio for staff writing positions). I make most of my money now by owning my own blog, which is amazing. I made nearly $1,000,000 blogging in 2016, and will make more than that in 2017 most likely.
The amount of money that you can make from writing online varies greatly but I love it and I think it is well worth it.
I recommend checking out my online course for bloggers, Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. I earn over $50,000 a month through affiliate marketing and I share my exact strategy and tips in this very informative online course. If you’re a blogger (even if you’re a new blogger!), then you NEED this course.
Side note: If you are interested in starting a blog of your own, I created a tutorial that will help you start a blog of your own for cheap, starting at only $2.95 per month (this low price is only through my link and for a limited time) for blog hosting. In addition to the low pricing, you will receive a free blog domain (a $15 value) through my Bluehost link if you purchase at least 12 months of blog hosting. FYI, you want to be self-hosted. This is essential if you want to monetize your blog as you will appear more professional and this will help you monetize your blog tremendously.
If you are further interested in freelance writing or blogging, I have several articles about it:
- How To Start a Blog Free Course
- How I Made Over $300,000 In 2015 By Blogging
- The Ultimate Guide To Making Money Blogging – How I Earn Over $50,000 A Month Online
Did you know that you can get paid to answer surveys and test products? They're free to join and free to use!
It's best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
Survey companies I recommend as one of the ways to make extra money include:
Babysit or nanny to earn extra income.
When I was in high school and before I could drive, I watched a child who lived in my neighborhood. I worked around 40 hours per week in the summer, and a little bit less when school was in session.
I found a flyer on my neighborhood bulletin board, called them, had an interview, and was hired. The pay was $10 an hour, which definitely was not bad for a 14-year-old, and for me to walk just a few homes down the road.
The kid was also amazing and was not once ever a terror, even though I started watching him when he was around 8 months.
Does anyone know what the average pay for babysitters is now these days? That $10 an hour I received was around 10 years ago…
Mow lawns for a side hustle.
Mowing lawns can actually be a quite profitable business. I know of a few people who constantly have mowing jobs. They make somewhere around $30 to $50 per lawn and do around 20 to 30 lawns a week.
If you're already doing lawns, then there may be other services that you may be able to add as well. You could also clean gutters, do Spring or Fall yard cleanups, garden, and more.
There is one drawback though. Depending on where you live, there may not be grass all year-long, which means that there might be a period of around 6 months where you don't have any work. Usually during this time though, many lawn companies switch to being snow-related companies – such as shoveling snow or plowing snow.
Become a photographer for extra income.
I don't think that photography is a job where you can just pick up your camera and start making money. You do need to have talent, and in some cases it definitely doesn't hurt to go to school for it (or at least take a few classes) if you want to make it a lifelong career.
There are different types of photography that you could get into:
- Stock photography.
- Newborn photography.
- Wedding photography.
- Family portraits.
- And more!
Pay can vary greatly with photography. For example, some photographers charge $500 for a whole wedding, whereas others charge $10,000 and up. Of course, you get what you pay for, though.
Sign up for free courses that will teach you how to make an extra $1,000 a month.
There are many great free courses that will teach you how to make an extra $1,000 a month and more.
- How To Start A Blog FREE Course: With this free email course, I show you exactly how to create a blog, from the technical side (it’s easy – trust me!) all the way to earning your first income and attracting followers. Each day for seven days, you will receive an email in your inbox that will help you create a successful and profitable blog, all from the very beginning. You can sign up here.
- How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA: The first year that Jessica’s family ran their Amazon FBA business together, working less than 20 hours a week total, they made over 6 figures profit! Check out this interview for more information on how to work from home selling on Amazon FBA. Jessica also has a FREE 3 part video series that will help people understand all of the basics of this business. I recommend signing up for it now!
- Make Money Proofreading By Becoming A Freelance Proofreader: In 2014, Caitlin made slightly over $43,000 by being a freelance proofreader, while also going on several fun vacations. Caitlin also has a great FREE 7 day course just for people who want to stop wasting time and start making more money with their proofreading skills. I definitely recommend that you check it out.
- Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer Or Virtual Assistant: Gina is a professional writer and virtual assistant. In just six months, Gina was able to earn over $4,000 per month as a writer. She also has a great free writing course as well as a free virtual assistant course if you want to try them out for free.
Other jobs you could do to make an extra $1,000 a month include:
- Walk dogs.
- Sell services on Fiverr.
- InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up!
- Teach another language.
- Use Ebates when you shop online for free cash back. If you sign up you can also score a free $10 gift card through my link.
- Substitute teach.
- Post on social media –If you have social media accounts, you may be able to make money by posting advertisements on your accounts. One company that is popular for this is Izea. You can learn more about making money through Izea here.
- Rent out your house to vacationers.
- Become an Uber or Lyft driver – Spending your spare time by driving others around can be a great money maker. Read more about this in my post – How To Become An Uber Or Lyft Driver. Click here to join Uber and start making money ASAP.
- Sell items online.
- Get into peer lending.
- Part-time retail job.
- Invest your money. I recommend using Motif Investing if you are looking to invest your money. Motif Investing allows individuals to invest affordably. This approachable investing platform makes it easy to buy a portfolio of up to 30 stocks, bonds or ETFs for just $9.95 total commission.
- Find a part-time or full-time job on Snagajob (there are tons of jobs listed all over on this website!)
- Become a Stella and Dot Stylist.
- Take part in research studies.
- Mystery shop.
- Coach/referee at a school and/or a sport.
- You can find even more ways in my post 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money.
If you don't want to work any more than you already do, then read my post How To Save 50% Or More Of Your Income. This post shows you many great ways to cut your budget.
What do you do for extra money? Are you interested in learning how to make $1000 a month? Do you think making an extra $1,000 a month is possible?
If you loved Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 a Month and learning how to make an extra 1000 a month, you're also going to love:
Join the free Master Your Money course!
Join the free email course and finally learn how to manage your money better, pay off debt, save more money, and reach financial freedom.