Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 A Month

Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 A Month

Hello! If you are new here, welcome! I suggest you read my latest online income report, $14,937 in July – My Highest Income Month.

One question I receive a few times each month from new readers is what they can do to make extra money each month. They’re not sure where to start, or even if it’s possible.

I understand this.

Before I started side hustling, I didn’t know much about it. Then, I started blogging and came across so many side hustlers I couldn’t believe it.

They opened my eyes and showed me that side hustling and making extra money above and beyond my day job was possible.

Back in November of 2013, I published the post My Motivation For Side Income. As a refresher, I started working on my side income for many reasons.

These reasons included:

• We wanted to pay off my student loans quickly. I knew I didn’t want to be paying my student loans 20 years down the line.
  • The fact that we weren’t saving as much as we would have liked. We were saving a little, but not enough where it actually mattered.
  • We knew we wanted to travel. With the income we had at the time, traveling just didn’t seem possible.
  • We wanted to pursue our passions and not feel stuck in a job that we didn’t love.

These side hustles completely changed our lives for the better, and we still can’t believe how different our lives are from just a few years ago.

We feel incredibly lucky, but I do attribute how far we’ve come to all of the hard work that was put into side hustles.

There are many different ways for you to make extra money each month. You may not be able to make $1,000 from just one side job (you may need 2 or 3), but depending on the amount of time and effort that you put into it, it may be possible.

If you say “Oh, $1,000 is NOT possible,” then I want you to think again. There are plenty of other side hustlers out there sharing their journey about how they are making extra money, you just have to look. They are proof that it is possible.

Here are different ways for you to make an extra $1,000 each month:

Write online.

Of course, this one is going to be the first on my list. I started writing online because I knew I didn’t have time to physically go into a place and work. I also knew that working a part-time job would probably be too draining, and I would probably have hated my life.

I needed a flexible schedule because when I started my website (Making Sense of Cents), I was working full-time on my Finance MBA, and I was also working as a financial analyst full-time.

I didn’t start this website to make money. I came across blogging and became obsessed with it. Then, I started reading about how others were making money online by writing, and I decided to give freelance writing a shot. Everything started from there!

There are a few different ways that you can make money by writing online. You most likely won’t get rich from it, but it can be a good side income that you can make from the comfort of your home. You can staff write for another website, write articles for advertisements, start a blog, and more.

The amount of money that you can make from writing online varies greatly.

You may be able to make $20 an article starting out, which would mean that you would need 50 articles each month to make $1,000. However, for certain subjects and/or experience, you may be able to demand a higher price which would mean less articles that you would need to write each month.

If you are further interested in freelance writing, I have several articles about it:

Babysit or nanny.

When I was in high school and before I could drive, I watched a child who lived in my neighborhood. I worked around 40 hours per week in the summer, and a little bit less when school was in session.

I found a flyer on my neighborhood bulletin board, called them, had an interview, and was hired. The pay was $10 an hour, which definitely was not bad for a 14-year-old, and for me to walk just a few homes down the road.

The kid was also amazing and was not once ever a terror, even though I started watching him when he was around 8 months (his name was Wesley, funny enough!).

Does anyone know what the average pay for babysitters is now these days? That $10 an hour I received was around 10 years ago…

Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 A MonthMow lawns.

Mowing lawns can actually be a quite profitable business. I know of a few people who constantly have mowing jobs. They make somewhere around $30 to $50 per lawn, and do around 20 to 30 lawns a week.

If you’re already doing lawns, then there may be other services that you may be able to add as well. You could also clean gutters, do Spring or Fall yard cleanups, garden, and more.

There is one drawback though. Depending on where you live, there may not be grass all year-long, which means that there might be a period of around 6 months where you don’t have any work. Usually during this time though, many lawn companies switch to being snow-related companies – such as shoveling snow or plowing snow.

Become a photographer.

I don’t think that photography is a job where you can just pick up your camera and start making money. You do need to have talent, and in some cases it definitely doesn’t hurt to go to school for it (or at least take a few classes) if you want to make it a lifelong career.

There are different types of photography that you could get into:

• Stock photography.
  • Newborn photography.
  • Wedding photography.
  • Family portraits.
  • And more!

Pay can vary greatly with photography. For example, some photographers charge $500 for a whole wedding, whereas others charge $10,000 and up. Of course, you get what you pay for though.

Other jobs you could do include:

• Walk dogs.
  • Sell services on Fiverr.
  • Teach another language.
  • Tutor.
  • Substitute teach.
  • Housesit.
  • Sell items online.
  • Part-time retail job.
  • Take part in research studies.
  • Take surveys.
  • Mystery shop.
  • Coach at a school.

What do you do for extra money? Why do you do it?

Comments

1. Income Surfer says

Great list Michelle. I didn’t start my website to make an income either and I certainly don’t earn what you do, but the revenue adds up. After a while a magazine editor contacted me through my blog and asked me to write exclusive content for them. They are simple little articles, but it’s completely flexible and averages $550-600 per month.

Something else for your list above. Detailing cars or boats. People need the service and everyone hates doing it :o)
    -Bryan

My goal in side income was similar but still slightly different. I did it to offset our monthly loan payment. So I didn’t intend to pay down my loans faster, but my intention was to make the cash flow a net zero. Ironically it’s about $1k/month which lines up perfectly with this post. I was able to do it through blogging and spreadsheet consulting. I still want to pursue spreadsheet consulting but want to try to figure out how I can make it a scalable business instead of just me trading my time for $.

3. Alexandra @ Real Simple Finances says

Right now I make $15/hr babysitting for one child. I have tried to get jobs at $18 for two children, but some parents are reluctant to pay that. I think it depends where you are looking to sit. There are some rich towns about 30-45 minutes from me, and I’m sure I could get $20+ an hour there — the trade off is that they usually expect you to wash dishes or do laundry as well.
    Alexandra @ Real Simple Finances recently posted..Weekly Challenge: Apply To Online JobsMy Profile

• Tarynkay says

I get paid $10/hour to watch one five month old. However, I do this while staying home with my two year old, so it makes sense to me that I am only making $10/hour to do this. I would expect to make more if I were not caring for my own child at the same time. I can make money while not having to pay for childcare, so that works out well for me.

Also, nannying is different than babysitting. I have a friend who left her corporate job to nanny and she makes more as a full time nanny than she did in corporate. She also charges a sort of retainer fee- once the kids are in school, the family agrees to continue paying her a reduced rate $30K/ year and she will pick them up from school and make them do homework and stuff. The families agree to this b.c they want continuity of care for their kids. She picks up part time work on the side when the kids start school.

We have mostly lucked out with swapping for free babysitting with friends. I have paid for a teenage babysitter once and then it was $10/hour (she told me how much she charged, I paid it.) I did not make nearly that much back when I was teenage babysitting, it was usually more like $5/hour.

4. Amanda says

There’s a website called “Teachers Pay Teachers” where you can purchase pre-made lesson plans that I’ve been meaning to look into further. I know that when I was working at the theatre, I had a really hard time finding drama/acting lesson plans for kids and teens, and when I did, they were all the same things over and over again. I assume/hope that because most schools (sadly) cut funding to the arts all the time and have non-drama teachers teaching drama that there will be a demand for this?
    The boyfriend and I have also thought about opening an Etsy shop, but we haven’t really gotten into the specifics of that yet.
    Amanda recently posted..March Break: What a Difference a Year MakesMy Profile

5. Shannon @ Financially Blonde says

My hubby is a tutor on the side and it is amazing how much money he can make. Now is typically a time to get tutoring jobs for kids taking the SAT 2 exams. There are a number of exams and if you have a “specialty” in the subject you can make up to $150 an hour depending on where you live.

6. Alice @ Earning My Two Cents says

I have been side hustling for a few years but in the last few months I have really scaled it up because I can see the potential for it to make extra debt payoff money which I sorely need. I mystery shop a lot, freelance write, use apps that pay me, take online surveys and anything else I run across that will make me extra cash. I too thought about a part time job at a clothing store or something like that, but I prefer the flexibility to work a lot or a little, depending on my schedule. That allows me to still spend time with friends, travel, work full time, and take care of home and family responsibilities.

7. Mr. Utopia says

Where there’s a will there’s a way, right? If you want to earn extra money, you’ve got to be motivated. If you are, you can find ways to make that side income eventually no matter what you’re doing. Writing online seems as if would have the most long-term upside though.

8. Andrew@LivingRichCheaply says

I’m a little obsessed with blogging too…and I didn’t know much about it until I started. It would be nice if I could make something from it, but I probably have to post much more consistently and work on other aspects as well. It seems like freelance writing is a great option. I would like to write a few things here and there, but I don’t know if I want to make a commitment…heck I barely have time to write for my own blog. I’d like to pursue that though as a little extra side income will definitely help with buying a place.

9. Michelle @fitisthenewpoor says

I’m making several hundred (about $400 a month) managing social media for some smaller businesses. One is a wedding business, and I actually have a blast reading and sharing wedding blogs all day. She loves my work so much that she asked me to start as a staff writer.

10. Lena says

That’s a great list, Michelle! I don’t make much money blogging but my main side hustle is translating. If you know another language, you can make a little extra this way too! I don’t make much (usually $400-500) but my schedule is very flexible, so I have plenty of time to be a Mom too :)
    Lena recently posted..25 years…My Profile

11. Mrs. Snarkfinance says

I work in a hospital and pick up extra shifts either working on-call at night or on the weekends to earn overtime. It alows me to work in different care settings which is a great learning experience for me. I also enjoy knitting and have thought about creating an account to sell my work on etsy but am not quite ready for that yet ;)
    Mrs. Snarkfinance recently posted..Review of Lending Club: a Fringe InvestmentMy Profile

12. Sarah says

I just recently started Substitute Teaching as a way to bring in extra money (I recently left my full time teaching job to become a stay at home mom) and have been trying to break my way into the online writing business, but it is has been so long since I’ve written anything for publication. My skills are rusty at best.

13. Nell says

I’m working on building my side hustling business and this month I’m focusing on adding staff writing gigs to my portfolio. I’ve been regularly making just under $1,000 a month writing for business websites and for some local clients, but I want to grow that pretty quickly over the next few months so I can go full time with my business.

But there are some great other ideas in this post. I did a lot of babysitting during my uni years. I did the after school care for two families four afternoons a week and was pulling over $200 for 12 hours work. Not bad for hanging out with kiddies and playing games.
    Nell recently posted..The Shopping Problem I Never Thought I’d Have (And What I’m Doing About It)My Profile

14. DESIREE H says

My side income is doing giveaways. My husband was demoted, so I have really been trying to help by winning gift cards for groceries or my twins expensive soy based formula, or gas cards, etc.
    This has helped us out a lot. Thanks

15. Jo-Ann Brightman says

Right now I don’t have a side income ,but I am reading all these articles and trying to decide if I could start doing one of these things.

16. Victoria says

This is a great and informative post. I have taught corporate sales and marketing on the side. Last year, I made quite a bit. That side income goes into the Thailand and Indonesia holiday fund for this summer! I haven’t made anything from the blog yet as I’m building up my “portfolio” with guest posting!

17. JULU B says

My side job is cleaning once a month for a friend’s shop. I help to clean, organize, etc. It is how I make extra money. It helps especially for slow time at my current job.
    Thanks