Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 A Month

Ways To Make An Extra $1,000 A Month

If you are new here, welcome to my post about how to make an extra $1,000 a month and the different ways to side hustle! I suggest you read my monthly online income blogging report, $23,758 in February Income – My Monthly Online Income Report.

One question I receive a few times each month from new readers is what they can do to make extra money each month. They’re not sure where to start when it comes to earning extra income, or even if it’s possible.

I understand this.

Before I started side hustling, I didn’t know much about different ways to make extra money. Then, I started blogging and came across so many side hustlers I couldn’t believe it.

They opened my eyes and showed me that side hustling and making extra money above and beyond my day job was possible.

Back in November of 2013, I published the post My Motivation For Side Income. As a refresher, I started working on my side income for many reasons.

The reasons for why I wanted to make extra money included:

• We wanted to pay off my student loans quickly. I knew I didn’t want to be paying my student loans 20 years down the line.
  • The fact that we weren’t saving as much as we would have liked. We were saving a little, but not enough where it actually mattered.
  • We knew we wanted to travel. With the income we had at the time, traveling just didn’t seem possible.
  • We wanted to pursue our passions and not feel stuck in a job that we didn’t love.

These side hustles completely changed our lives for the better, and we still can’t believe how different our lives are from just a few years ago.

We feel incredibly lucky, but I do attribute how far we’ve come to all of the hard work that was put into side hustles.

There are many different ways for you to make extra money each month, and even ways to make an extra $1,000 a month are possible. You may not be able to make $1,000 from just one side job (you may need 2 or 3), but depending on the amount of time and effort that you put into it, it may be possible.

If you say “Oh, $1,000 is NOT possible,” then I want you to think again. There are plenty of other side hustlers out there sharing their journey about how they are making extra money, you just have to look. They are proof that it is possible. Just check out Monthly Income Report Roundup – My Favorite Income Bloggers for proof.

Below are my tips on how to make an extra $1,000 a month:

Write online to make extra money.

Of course, this one is going to be the first on my list of different ways to make an extra $1,000 a month since I am a blogger and I write online.

I started writing online because I knew I didn’t have time to physically go into a place and work since I was already working 50-55 hours a week and working towards my Finance MBA full-time as well. I also knew that working a part-time job would probably be too draining, and I would probably have hated my life since I was already busy around 75 to 85 hours a week between my job and school.

This is why I started looking into monetizing my blog and looking for staff writing positions. I want to be clear and say that I didn’t start this website to make extra money. Making an extra $1,000 a month never even crossed my mind when I first started blogging.

I came across blogging and became obsessed with it though back in 2011. Then, I started reading about how others were making money online by writing, and I decided to give freelance writing a shot. Everything started from there!

There are a few different ways that you can make money by writing online. Writing online can be a good side income that you can make from the comfort of your home. You can staff write for another website, write articles for advertisements, start a blog of your own, and more. Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend starting a blog of your own as you may be able to make money through your blog and website owners can find/hire you through your blog (your blog can be used as your resume/portfolio for staff writing positions). I make most of my money now by owning my own blog, which is amazing. I made over $150,000 through blogging last year!

The amount of money that you can make from writing online varies greatly but I love it and I think it is well worth it.

Side note: If you are interested in starting a blog of your own, I created a tutorial that will help you start a blog of your own for cheap, starting at only $3.49 per month (this low price is only through my link and for a limited time) for blog hosting. In addition to the low pricing, you will receive a free blog domain (a $15 value) through my Bluehost link if you purchase at least 12 months of blog hosting. FYI, you want to be self-hosted. This is essential if you want to monetize your blog as you will appear more professional and this will help you monetize your blog tremendously.

You may be able to make $20 an article starting out, which would mean that you would need 50 articles each month to make $1,000. However, for certain subjects and/or experience, you may be able to demand a higher price which would mean less articles that you would need to write each month. I know some writers who make nearly $1,000 an article, which is a nice amount of money!

If you are further interested in freelance writing or blogging, I have several articles about it:

Babysit or nanny to earn extra income.

When I was in high school and before I could drive, I watched a child who lived in my neighborhood. I worked around 40 hours per week in the summer, and a little bit less when school was in session.

I found a flyer on my neighborhood bulletin board, called them, had an interview, and was hired. The pay was $10 an hour, which definitely was not bad for a 14-year-old, and for me to walk just a few homes down the road.

The kid was also amazing and was not once ever a terror, even though I started watching him when he was around 8 months (his name was Wesley, funny enough!).

Does anyone know what the average pay for babysitters is now these days? That $10 an hour I received was around 10 years ago…

Mow lawns for a side hustle.

Mowing lawns can actually be a quite profitable business. I know of a few people who constantly have mowing jobs. They make somewhere around $30 to $50 per lawn, and do around 20 to 30 lawns a week.

If you’re already doing lawns, then there may be other services that you may be able to add as well. You could also clean gutters, do Spring or Fall yard cleanups, garden, and more.

There is one drawback though. Depending on where you live, there may not be grass all year-long, which means that there might be a period of around 6 months where you don’t have any work. Usually during this time though, many lawn companies switch to being snow-related companies – such as shoveling snow or plowing snow.

Become a photographer for extra income.

I don’t think that photography is a job where you can just pick up your camera and start making money. You do need to have talent, and in some cases it definitely doesn’t hurt to go to school for it (or at least take a few classes) if you want to make it a lifelong career.

There are different types of photography that you could get into:

• Stock photography.
  • Newborn photography.
  • Wedding photography.
  • Family portraits.
  • And more!

Pay can vary greatly with photography. For example, some photographers charge $500 for a whole wedding, whereas others charge $10,000 and up. Of course, you get what you pay for though.

Other jobs you could do to make an extra $1,000 a month include:

• Walk dogs.
  • Sell services on Fiverr.
  • Teach another language.
  • Use Swagbucks for your online searches and earn money. You’ll receive a free $5 bonus just for signing up through my link!
  • Tutor.
  • Use Ebates when you shop online for free cash back. If you sign up you can also score a free $10 gift card through my link.
  • Substitute teach.
  • Rent out your house to vacationers.
  • Housesit.
  • Sell items online.
  • Get into peer lending.
  • Part-time retail job.
  • Invest your money. I recommend using Motif Investing if you are looking to invest your money. Motif Investing allows individuals to invest affordably. This approachable investing platform makes it easy to buy a portfolio of up to 30 stocks, bonds or ETFs for just $9.95 total commission. Plus, you will receive up to $150 for FREE when you use Motif Investing if you sign up under my link.
  • Find a part-time or full-time job on Snagajob (there are tons of jobs listed all over on this website!)
  • Become a Stella and Dot Stylist.
  • Take part in research studies.
  • Take surveys. One survey site I recommend is American Consumer Opinion. It’s free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and to test products. Pinecone Research is another company I use to complete surveys. I have personally used them several times, so I can honestly say that they are a legitimate company to use. They pay you for each survey you complete and they also occasionally send free products to review!
  • Mystery shop.
  • Coach/referee at a school and/or a sport.
  • You can find even more ways in my post 75+ Ways To Make Extra Money.

If you don’t want to work any more than you already do, then read my post How To Save 50% Or More Of Your Income. This post shows you many great ways to cut your budget.

What do you do for extra money? Why do you do it? Do you think making an extra $1,000 a month is possible?

Comments

1. says

Great list Michelle. I didn’t start my website to make an income either and I certainly don’t earn what you do, but the revenue adds up. After a while a magazine editor contacted me through my blog and asked me to write exclusive content for them. They are simple little articles, but it’s completely flexible and averages $550-600 per month.

Something else for your list above. Detailing cars or boats. People need the service and everyone hates doing it :o)
    -Bryan

2. says

My goal in side income was similar but still slightly different. I did it to offset our monthly loan payment. So I didn’t intend to pay down my loans faster, but my intention was to make the cash flow a net zero. Ironically it’s about $1k/month which lines up perfectly with this post. I was able to do it through blogging and spreadsheet consulting. I still want to pursue spreadsheet consulting but want to try to figure out how I can make it a scalable business instead of just me trading my time for $.

3. says

Right now I make $15/hr babysitting for one child. I have tried to get jobs at $18 for two children, but some parents are reluctant to pay that. I think it depends where you are looking to sit. There are some rich towns about 30-45 minutes from me, and I’m sure I could get $20+ an hour there — the trade off is that they usually expect you to wash dishes or do laundry as well.
    Alexandra @ Real Simple Finances recently posted..Weekly Challenge: Apply To Online JobsMy Profile

• Tarynkay says

I get paid $10/hour to watch one five month old. However, I do this while staying home with my two year old, so it makes sense to me that I am only making $10/hour to do this. I would expect to make more if I were not caring for my own child at the same time. I can make money while not having to pay for childcare, so that works out well for me.

Also, nannying is different than babysitting. I have a friend who left her corporate job to nanny and she makes more as a full time nanny than she did in corporate. She also charges a sort of retainer fee- once the kids are in school, the family agrees to continue paying her a reduced rate $30K/ year and she will pick them up from school and make them do homework and stuff. The families agree to this b.c they want continuity of care for their kids. She picks up part time work on the side when the kids start school.

We have mostly lucked out with swapping for free babysitting with friends. I have paid for a teenage babysitter once and then it was $10/hour (she told me how much she charged, I paid it.) I did not make nearly that much back when I was teenage babysitting, it was usually more like $5/hour.

4. says

There’s a website called “Teachers Pay Teachers” where you can purchase pre-made lesson plans that I’ve been meaning to look into further. I know that when I was working at the theatre, I had a really hard time finding drama/acting lesson plans for kids and teens, and when I did, they were all the same things over and over again. I assume/hope that because most schools (sadly) cut funding to the arts all the time and have non-drama teachers teaching drama that there will be a demand for this?
    The boyfriend and I have also thought about opening an Etsy shop, but we haven’t really gotten into the specifics of that yet.
    Amanda recently posted..March Break: What a Difference a Year MakesMy Profile

5. says

My hubby is a tutor on the side and it is amazing how much money he can make. Now is typically a time to get tutoring jobs for kids taking the SAT 2 exams. There are a number of exams and if you have a “specialty” in the subject you can make up to $150 an hour depending on where you live.

6. says

I have been side hustling for a few years but in the last few months I have really scaled it up because I can see the potential for it to make extra debt payoff money which I sorely need. I mystery shop a lot, freelance write, use apps that pay me, take online surveys and anything else I run across that will make me extra cash. I too thought about a part time job at a clothing store or something like that, but I prefer the flexibility to work a lot or a little, depending on my schedule. That allows me to still spend time with friends, travel, work full time, and take care of home and family responsibilities.

7. says

Where there’s a will there’s a way, right? If you want to earn extra money, you’ve got to be motivated. If you are, you can find ways to make that side income eventually no matter what you’re doing. Writing online seems as if would have the most long-term upside though.

8. says

I’m a little obsessed with blogging too…and I didn’t know much about it until I started. It would be nice if I could make something from it, but I probably have to post much more consistently and work on other aspects as well. It seems like freelance writing is a great option. I would like to write a few things here and there, but I don’t know if I want to make a commitment…heck I barely have time to write for my own blog. I’d like to pursue that though as a little extra side income will definitely help with buying a place.

9. says

I’m making several hundred (about $400 a month) managing social media for some smaller businesses. One is a wedding business, and I actually have a blast reading and sharing wedding blogs all day. She loves my work so much that she asked me to start as a staff writer.

10. says

That’s a great list, Michelle! I don’t make much money blogging but my main side hustle is translating. If you know another language, you can make a little extra this way too! I don’t make much (usually $400-500) but my schedule is very flexible, so I have plenty of time to be a Mom too :)
    Lena recently posted..25 years…My Profile

11. says

I work in a hospital and pick up extra shifts either working on-call at night or on the weekends to earn overtime. It alows me to work in different care settings which is a great learning experience for me. I also enjoy knitting and have thought about creating an account to sell my work on etsy but am not quite ready for that yet 😉
    Mrs. Snarkfinance recently posted..Review of Lending Club: a Fringe InvestmentMy Profile

12. Sarah says

I just recently started Substitute Teaching as a way to bring in extra money (I recently left my full time teaching job to become a stay at home mom) and have been trying to break my way into the online writing business, but it is has been so long since I’ve written anything for publication. My skills are rusty at best.

13. says

I’m working on building my side hustling business and this month I’m focusing on adding staff writing gigs to my portfolio. I’ve been regularly making just under $1,000 a month writing for business websites and for some local clients, but I want to grow that pretty quickly over the next few months so I can go full time with my business.

But there are some great other ideas in this post. I did a lot of babysitting during my uni years. I did the after school care for two families four afternoons a week and was pulling over $200 for 12 hours work. Not bad for hanging out with kiddies and playing games.
    Nell recently posted..The Shopping Problem I Never Thought I’d Have (And What I’m Doing About It)My Profile

14. DESIREE H says

My side income is doing giveaways. My husband was demoted, so I have really been trying to help by winning gift cards for groceries or my twins expensive soy based formula, or gas cards, etc.
    This has helped us out a lot. Thanks

15. Jo-Ann Brightman says

Right now I don’t have a side income ,but I am reading all these articles and trying to decide if I could start doing one of these things.

16. says

This is a great and informative post. I have taught corporate sales and marketing on the side. Last year, I made quite a bit. That side income goes into the Thailand and Indonesia holiday fund for this summer! I haven’t made anything from the blog yet as I’m building up my “portfolio” with guest posting!

17. JULU B says

My side job is cleaning once a month for a friend’s shop. I help to clean, organize, etc. It is how I make extra money. It helps especially for slow time at my current job.
    Thanks

18. Joyce says

Just have to chuckle here; I’m old enough that when I was a babysitter, the going rate for the best of us was 50 cents/hour, which is what I usually got paid. That wouldn’t cut it today, not by an means, but decades ago, it felt like I was rich when I got paid $5.00 for a full night’s sitting (with three kids) :-)

19. says

Photography is a nice way to make extra income but a big thing about that is there’s also a lot of competition and finding clientele can take some time! But it’s definitely worth it if it’s your passion!

20. Lisa says

here is the question I have….how do you start blogging and what do you blog about? I am really interested in doing that, I just don’t know where to start.

Thanks

21. Lindsay says

I love this post! I am a certified American Heart Association CPR/AED/First Aid instructor. I do this as a side hustle. I personally haven’t made much money off of this because of the rate I charge, but there is potential to make quite a bit off of teaching classes. Especially if you offset the initial investment by affiliating yourself with a company that will either let you borrow the CPR manakins and other supplies. I also make $600/yr as a secretary for a Fire District. It certainly doesn’t sound like much but when you break it down I make $25/hr because they meet once a month for approx. one hr and then I have approx 1 more hour per month of work to do for prep for the next meeting!

22. John C Thomson says

I am 70 1/2 and retired, but the need for additional income is ever present in these days economy. I am drawn to articles and blogs that describe ways to earn that extra income through their personal efforts. I don’t understand why non-profits don’t utilize these same methods instead of trying to separate you from your hard earned income. Anyway, thanks for the information. I recently, well 8 months ago, quit smoking, hence adding $360 a month back into the budget. I quit my morning coffee stop at DD and added another $60. There are other ways to add by subtracting.

23. says

Those are pretty good ways to make some extra cash. I found “That Crazy Wrap Thing” with It Works, and haven’t looked back, personally. I haven’t made enough yet to quit my day job, but I bring in about $1,500(give or take $50-70 depending on the month) a month extra money. I get to help others and it’s extremely rewarding in that way.

I’d be happy to chat with anyone about this via email or you can check out my site.

I’m one of those people, if I can do it, anyone can do it :)

24. Kaylyn Pate says

Do you have any good recommendations for mystery shopping? I’ve always been interested in it, but I’ve been skeptical of it. Thanks!

25. Rose says

Very helpful information. Appreciate it.
    I do a paid for surveys site and I make around $400 a month. It won’t make you rich but it covers my electric and water bill lol. It’s really not hard.

26. Lily says

Hi Michelle, love your post, they always encourageme to make extra cash, I wanted to try the Swagbucks but I couldn’t complete the registration, I don’t know if it is because it asks for a sign up code or what I tried several times and nothing. If you could help me register I will be thankfull.

27. says

I have been looking to increasing my monthly income. $1000 a month is a decent salary in itself, here in India. And while not all options are feasible, because they pay less for doing them here, some of them are still worth a shot. Thanks for listing them down. :)