2014 and January Goals – It will be a GREAT year

2014 and January Goals - It will be a GREAT year

Is this how most feel about resolutions? :)

Hey everyone! I hope all of you had a great weekend and New Year’s. St. Louis is currently being hit by horribly cold weather – today it’s supposed to be negative 35 degrees with windchill). There’s also a foot of snow outside.

Today’s post will be all about my goals from last month and my new goals for this month as well as all of 2014. Make sure to come back tomorrow for my monthly income update.

December was another great month. I took an official two week semi-vacation (I worked some, but not anywhere near usual), which was nice.

We went on a week-long trip to St. Thomas. Then around one week after we got back I came down with the stomach flu, which was no fun at all. So, I am ready to get back into the hang of everything in January.

2013 was a really great year. I left my day job and switched to full-time freelancing, which has been really good for me/us so far. Just last January, I’m not even sure if I thought about leaving my job, so that can really show you how much changed in just 2013.

Last year, we also did a good amount of traveling. We went to New Orleans, Chicago, Gulf Shores, St. Thomas (twice), and a few other places.

I do think that 2014 will be our year though. Sadly, our semi-long trip to Asia will be put on hold for the time being, but we do hope to do that someday soon. We just can’t find the time to squeeze it in.

Instead, we will be traveling to either the Caribbean or Central America later this month, and then we plan on renting a beach house somewhere in February or March for a few weeks. So, I’m definitely not complaining in the change.

In May, I will also be going to Vegas for my bachelorette party, and then we still have our honeymoon to plan as well for June. The next 6 months will definitely be crazy for us!

Here are my goals that I posted in January of 2013 for my annual goals. I didn’t have many, but I still feel like it was a successful year!

1. Pay off ALL of my student loans. PASS. I eliminated all of my student loans in July of 2013. Felt AMAZING.
  2. Get super fit. Meh. I’m definitely not fit, but I don’t want to be too harsh on myself either :)
  3. Save for a decent sized down payment. Meh. I’m not going to say this is a fail, because we don’t plan on buying a home in 2014 anymore.
  4. Plan an awesome wedding! PASS. I guess this is a pass. The wedding isn’t until June of 2014, but I have done a good amount of planning!

Here are my goals for all of 2014:

1. Save 50% of our income after taxes. Our spending has been under control the past few months, and I would like to continue this in 2014.
  2. Have a fun wedding! The wedding is in 5 months. AH! I have so much more to plan.
  3. Have a successful business year. My business goal for this year is fairly simple – just work hard and be as successful as I can.

December Goals Update

1. Keep our food budget under $400 and meal plan. PASS. We have been doing awesome lately! If you have come across any awesome new recipes lately, please share them below. I am guilty of cooking many repeat meals lately.
  2. Make $10,000 in business income this month. PASS. It was a good month even though I took a 2 week semi-vacation.
  3. Book the caterer and wedding rentals. FAIL. See below in my January goals.
  4. Book our flights and accommodations. Not a pass or fail since our plans have changed.
  5. Find a camera. Not a pass or fail since our plans have changed.

January Goals

1. Keep our food budget under $400 and meal plan. This will always be on my monthly goals so that we don’t forget.
  2. Make $10,000 in business income this month. I have many plans for 2014, and I’m hoping to start January with a BANG.
  3. Book the caterer and wedding rentals. We really need to finalize these contracts this week. We haven’t exactly come across many wedding-related companies that have the greatest customer service, which is making this difficult. Luckily, I think I finally found good companies and I plan on booking soon.
  4. Run 3 miles, 5 days a week. I plan on partnering this with some T-25 as well.
  5. Get completely organized for personal/business taxes. Oh tax time, it’s something that everyone dreads. This will also be my first year with some major business income, so this will be interesting.

How did you do in December? What is your main goal for January and 2014?

Comments

1. Martin says

Main goal for 2014 is to get better at wrestling, help more readers through my blogs, save up lots of money, and go on plenty of trips. Simple, but effective for me :)

2. Matt Becker says

I love the goal to have a “fun” wedding. In all seriousness, I think that gets lost in all the planning and preparing a lot of the time. First and foremost, a wedding should be fun for the bride and groom. Everything else is a distant second. Good luck!

3. Liz says

good luck on you taxes with the business income. Are you planning on prepping yourself or hiring a preparer? My main goals are to do well at my job this year (just started at my current job about 2 months ago) so that I will be on track for a promotion at year-end. Also hoping to pay off a large chunk of my student loans and overall just have fun and control stress! Have a great week Michelle!
    Liz recently posted..Building an Emergency Fund on a Tight BudgetMy Profile

I really like your business goal this year! Sometimes all you can do is work as hard as you possibly can and the results will fall where they fall. I did set a formal “income” goal, but the more I think about it the more I feel this is out of my hands. I can plan and execute, but I can’t control exactly how many dollars fall into my bank account as a result. Anyway, I’m excited for 2014 as well and I think it’ll be a great year!

Oh no! I was terrified that we would lose our power (we ALWAYS lose power), but we didn’t this time. I am so thankful!

I would like to take it up to $15K, but not just yet. I’m thinking March will be my $15K month :)

5. Alexa says

I agree with David I like the business goal. I want to be as successful as I can as well without being too hard on myself if I don’t hit hard numbers. The trip to the Caribbean or Central America sounds fun. I’m sure you will have an amazing year!

6. Rebecca @ Stapler Confessions says

I’ll probably be 100% freelancing this year, too, so it’s really helpful to see you set out your business goals. I should get disciplined and do that, too.

My goal for December was to spend just $10 more on gifts, and I failed but only by $20! :) In January, I need to find a new dr. because our new insurance doesn’t cover our current dr. Such a bummer, but oh well. Oh yeah, and I have to get the Christmas decorations put away!

7. Yvette says

I need to get my paperwork ready for taxes also.. I’ve started to write down my daily goals and can’t seem to get through them all. So frustrating. But at least I don’t forget what my goals are. Also my goal for this year is to start my own financial blog. I am still thinking about it and trying to come up with some ideas to write about. I think it would be a lot of fun to blog and participate with the blogging community.

8. Camille @ Challenge Mantra says

Hey! I just found your blog. I officially started T-25 this morning (Day 1, Alpha Cardio), since one of my 2014 goals is to get more fit, too. Are you already doing the program.

Looks like you have a fantastic goal list, and $10,000 in a month would be phenomenal. Best wishes :)

9. Shannon @ Financially Blonde says

Congrats on passing almost all of your goals! Since most of my clients have food cost challenges, I have actually started a Friday blog series that will highlight yummy, healthy meals for 4 under $15 all-in. This past Friday was Ratatouille Remy style.

10. Kasia says

You’re doing an incredible job achieving your goals, and $10k a month, WOW!

This year I’m planning to start making a side income from writing/blogging, and aiming for $1k per month by the end of the year, become a first time mum in May, and knock off at least 80% of the items on my goals/to do list for 2014. It’s going to be a good year :)

All the best for 2014!

11. anna says

I’m glad to hear you found some friendlier catering/wedding companies – I can’t wait to see what you two decided to go with food-wise! So exciting, as well, for all your travel plans!

12. Tanner says

Wow, you had an awesome year! And with a wedding coming up, I wish you an even better year this year!

This year I will be paying off all my debts, hopefully buying a new (to me) car and finalizing my moving plans. Yikes.

(And ha-ha, I can totally relate to that caption)
    Tanner recently posted..No debt-related goals for 2014My Profile

13. Rebecca says

Great goals for the month and coming year. Planning a wedding is a lot of fun (based on helping friends), but a lot of work too. It looks like you’re set for a great year. My main goals this month is earn extra income this month ($300+) and start reorganizing things in my house.

14. KK @ Student Debt Survivor says

I’m totally guilty of making too many goals and then being hard on myself when I’m not able to accomplish all of them. This year I’m going to focus on just a few goals and I’m going to break them down between smaller short-term goals and bigger long-term goals. I hope 2014 is great for all of us.

15. adn says

Congrats on your success with your blog. You mentioned you are focusing on meal planning. This is smart. I’m developing a meal plan because I pretty much loathe grocery shopping, as a mom I am always at Ralph’s. Anyway, I love sharing easy, healthy, super tasty cooking recipes that don’t break the bank.
    Here are a few favorites
    Easy Tasty Baked Rice — a totally yummy comfort food (I reduced the butter in it by 90%!) and it literally will take you 5 minutes to make: http://thecaliforniamom.com/eat-and-drink/easy-tasty-baked-rice/
    And
    Healthy Yummy Turkey Meatballs: http://thecaliforniamom.com/eat-and-drink/healthy-yummy-comfort-food-turkey-meatballs-easydinners/ – these are very simple to make but give you a home cooked meal feeling!
    Try them out & let me know what you think!
    adn recently posted..Conversation with author of “The Day the Crayons Quit” Drew DaywaltMy Profile