Oh Valentine’s Day

I’m so glad that it’s Friday. What are your plans for the weekend? This post is Valentine’s Day related. As some of you know, I’m not a huge Valentine’s Day fan. I just don’t see what’s so special about it, mainly because the BF is always nice to me and I like to get surprises all the time (I’m joking, kind of...), and also Valentine’s Day has just never excited me. I don’t know why.

Yes I love chocolate, wine, romantic things, etc, but I just don’t know. Hopefully I don’t offend anyone! I know I’m one of the only ones who think this way because my friends always tell me that I’m crazy and weird for this. Anyways, I do like going out to a nice dinner and getting dressed up.

Confession for you all: I have never really gotten the BF anything for Valentine’s Day. Usually I’ll just have him pick something out and that’s it. After being made fun of by my friends so much for not being romantic, I’m thinking that this year I should do something special for him. Usually we just go out for a nice dinner and he gets me something. I want to change that this year!

Anyone have any gift ideas?

I’m thinking I’ll make some chocolate covered strawberries and just get him an REI gift card. Yes I know, not romantic, but this is truly what he would want. Maybe I’ll find something on Pinterest to make as well.  I want to do something else as well, but I don’t know what. Maybe I’ll attempt making some cupcakes also.

I’ve also been seeing lots of tasty Valentine’s dinner ideas.  So who wants to come over and cook all of this for us?

Avocado and Strawberries

Filet Mignon
Deep Chocolate Pudding

I also found a cute little link-up at From Mrs. to Mama and I noticed a lot of people are doing this also. I thought it was cute and it would help everyone see a little peak into my life! I didn’t answer all of the questions (because I didn’t want this post to be ridiculously long), but here’s some!

1. How long have you and your significant other been together? We’ve been together for almost 6 years! Not as long as some, but a super long time for us. Some of you are probably wondering why we’re not married. We are more focused on paying down debt, finishing school and everything else before we get married. We have talked about it though, and of course we want to get married. I’m just not too worried about it.
  2. How did you meet? {What’s your “love” story?} Nothing too special here. We both grew up in the same city within 2-3 miles from each other, so it was bound that we would run into each other.
  3. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.  I love so many things about him. He’s extremely caring and has always been there for me. He was there during everything that happened with my dad and is there with me for all of the problems with my mom right now.  He’s always patient too. I am very forgetful and I’m happy that he doesn’t hate me for forgetting everything. He takes care of me. I’m messy and I tend to get sick a lot, and he’s always taking care of me.
  4. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petalsHmmm he is definitely strawberries, champagne and rose petals. Maybe just because he knows that I love food and a good drink.
  5. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch? Sunset dinner on the beach please. I will do anything if it involves the beach. Literally anything, not even joking.
  6. Tell us one thing you’d like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?  I want to continue traveling everywhere with him! Skydiving, scuba diving and everything else. I would love to retire young with him and just travel forever.
  7. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine’s Day. Well I have work and then class until 10pm, so I will be doing nothing on actual Valentine’s Day. But we will most likely go out to eat one of these days.

What are your plans for Valentine’s Day? What are you getting your significant other? What are some frugal date ideas?

35 Responses to Oh Valentine’s Day

• Lisa says:

Valentine's Day is my husband birthday. This year I have been giving him small tokens of appreciation for the first two weeks of February…Valentine related. Not big stuff, some of his favorite candy, our favorite wine, and some corny stuff too. This is the first time doing this for him, and I was not sure how he would like it. But to my surprise he really enjoys it!

• Tanner says:

That salad had me at the visual, but I've trade strawberries for tomatoes. I'm not a fan of mixing fruits into my foods just yet.

• Bethany says:

I totally agree with you! Shawn and I don't do anything for VDAY. Ever. Never have. I think it's a superficial holiday and it doesn't make me feel any more loved than I already do! We take care of each other all year long… he'll surprise me with gifts or tell me to buy myself something when I go shopping with the girls… I vote we cancel Valentines Day and sub in Day after Super Bowl instead. THAT would be a holiday I would celebrate!

• Stephanie says:

Valentine's Day was a bigger deal during our first round of dating in high school. He specifically asked me out on August 14 so we'd celebrate 6 months on Valentine's Day. Pretty impressive for a 15-year-old boy to think that far ahead. ;-) But now we don't go all-out for Valentine's Day. Usually we go out for sushi and exchange small, inexpensive gifts. I still have no idea what I'm getting for him this year though!

• Yes, 6 years IS a long time for people our age. You two seem great together. I have no plans yet for myself on V day.

• I totally agree with you. I hate that it's this one day to say and show your love. I think you should do it everyday. P is traveling next week so I will be on my own for v day.

• Daisy says:

Ahhh! I Still haven`t gotten anything for the boy. I usually get him something little and we go out for dinner.

• Nichole says:

I actually just ordered Modern Family season 2 for hubs, lol. Not romantic but he never wants/needs anything and I got him season 1 for Christmas. I have been hinting for flowers but I also kind of don't want him to get them b/c they're pricey and I don't "need" them, lol. On actual Vday, we're going to a hockey game b/c we haven't been in forever, again not romantic but our kind of night <3

• We actually don't celebrate Valentine's Day, as our anniversary is the day after (makes dinner reservations MUCH easier and if we pick up our cards that day, they're super-cheap). So for our anniversary this year, we're going to dinner at a local crepe place and then heading to a theatre to watch all the Animated Short Oscar nominees =) It's a little silly, but some version of that is what we both thought of independently, so it works for us. This also absolves us from getting gifts for each other. We get a "couple" gift instead – this year, we're splurging for a poster for the apartment that we've both been pining after for a while now (like, a year). But I think food is always a good way to say I love you =)

• McVal says:

We'll be married 24 years this spring. My plans for Tuesday involve going to Taekwondo with my daughter and then hoping hubs has made supper for us when we get home. Same old same old. But with any luck I can talk him into going to Applebees on Sunday for dinner. Just the two of us…

• Alyx says:

I too, would do anything for the beach!!! hahahaAnd I think 6 years is a pretty long time!

• fariha says:

I have been with my BF for 5 years :) but it doesn't feel that long. I am such a last minute person so no plans yet.

• Holly says:

Cute post! My hubby and I just go out to dinner for Valentine's Day, no gift exchanging. We try to dress up a little more or pick a new place to make it a little more special.

• Loved your Q&A ;)I think making dinner and dessert will make any man happy!!Hope you have an enjoyable Valentine's with your hunny!

• Astra says:

I think its lovely that your being more romantic this year, just pick something small and personal, you could always write a little love letter to go with it? I love surprising my man with little gifts and notes around valentines day, we see it as just another excuse to express our love for each other, not a time to spend money on eachother :)

• P!nky says:

we don't have big plans, because I'm like you not really a fan of Valentine's day and neither is the bf. But we are trying something new this year. He gets me something for valentine's day and then sometime in March, like the 14th or so is HIS valentine's day and I'll make a steak and he can have a guy night. We'll see how it goes, but even though I like pink I'm OVER the hype and pressure. happy weekend girlie! xoxo

• I really don't like Valentine's day. I do like the candy that goes on sale after it though. We just go to dinner too and I gave up on giving gifts because the BF doesn't put much thought into his gifts for me so I'm over it. He usually lets me pick something since he says I'm too hard to please.Anywayyyyy I wanna do this questionnaire too!

• Great to hear a bit more about your romance history. You seem to have a great partner. We aren't doing anything either. We used to when we were dating but now we don't see much point. We enjoy numerous other times together throughout the year.

• Lena says:

My Birthday is a day before Valentine's Day, so we usually celebrate small. I don't care much about gifts but I like a nice dinner or even go away for a day with my Hubby. This year we challenged each other to make homemade gifts.

• Neely says:

6 years is a long time!

• Totally agree with you. Not sure what the big deal is about valentines day. My husband and I worked in the restaurant industry for so many years, we don't do valentines's day except to talk about the crazy-ness that happened while serving dinner to folks! I agree with you on #6. All we want to do is make enough so we can travel around the world together.

• Michelle P says:

I'm so happy that so many of you agree with me about Valentine's Day! Makes me seem not as crazy. I wish my blog was anonymous so that I could show my friends your comments.

• Cassie says:

I'm going to buck the trend here: I'm a sucker for Valentine's Day. I don't need anything grand, but I only get to see my boyfriend on the weekends so Valentine's Day is an excuse to get to see him during the week :) Last year Valentine's day involved Vietnamese take out and walking through IKEA. No idea what this year will be yet, I'll ask him this weekend. I plan on baking him some cookies for valentine's day, because I don't have any money to spend on it right now :s

• We usually don't do much. But we do make a point to spend time with each other more on that day. It is nothing special, we have been doing that more these days but it is a good excuse to get off work early and we might as well use it :)

• ms.composure says:

stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show some blog luv! def enjoyed this post !http://infinitelifefitness.comhttp://mscomposure.blogspot.com

• Cupcake and a BJ–it's a huge hit and trust me it will be the best gift ever ; )

• I was totally thinking about getting man-friend an adopted Orca from the WWF this year. I think VD is pretty lame myself, and he's so not materialistic… but maybe that's not right. I don't know…

• Mackenzie says:

Hubby has to work late on Valentine's Day so, nothing planned :(But we aren't big Valentine's Day people to begin with!

• Love this, I'm getting engaged is it weird I know? Because I'm way more exciting knowing its coming ha. Happy weekend. Tabmy-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

• I'm with you…guys are hard. I'm thinking maybe a photo montage? I have no idea.

• Mrs. Baker says:

just found your blog and am now following! my husband is a bank examiner for the federal reserve so he has got me into all this budgeting/finance stuff !http://babybakerlove.blogspot.com/

• Kristin says:

I never do anything either, just a card and dinner at home :)

• ♥Jess says:

Ohhhh I love this. I must do this too.

• Mazzastick says:

I plan on giving my wife a certificate for an hour massage. Who doesn't like a massage right?

• Rafiki says:

I think you have the perfect gift planned already for him. If it's something he wants then it is perfect.I don't have anything planned for valentines day since we will be countries apart but we might do a video chat after I get home from work.Personally we don't make a big fuss out of valentines day but it's still a nice day to do something with each other. Any day is really. Might as well take advantage of one of the deals going around.